Life > Experiences

You Are Part Of The Problem.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

You’re walking down Guad, it’s dark but you’re with your friends. Even with the dim street lights you notice the people, almost in the fetal position, wearing clothes with visible stains and bags of things they have kept or found over time. Some, even on the verge of death, and yet, you continue walking at a new distance. This distance, almost states you feel safer with the racing cars than the sleeping survivors. And you continue walking with your friends, now with the homeless population only being an afterthought. 

We’ve all heard the stories. Drunk homeless people trying to give young women hugs, attempting to talk to college students while not sober, and maybe even some violent outbursts sometimes. But, we also know how difficult it is for those without a place to call home. Inconsistent meals, poor hydration, and little access to hygienic utilities or supplies, and we can’t forget the unimaginable struggle of addiction for some. We can place blame and play the responsibility game all day, but what will you do? Repost Instagram posts about homelessness? Donate a couple of green bean cans during the holidays? Have another conversation with the potential to change your community yet with no action? Don’t get me wrong, I’m guilty of all these too. We know what we have and haven’t done. Yet here we are, living in our luxurious lives with only the afterthoughts to guilt us later. 

We have so much prejudice toward the homeless population. The two feet towards the street rather than the woman attempting to sleep on the concrete unapologetically show us we feel superior to them. And, obviously, we shouldn’t. Why? Because recall all of your social justice movement thoughts, eat the rich, f*ck capitalism, power to the people, right? Or is it only right up until it’s your turn to do something? Because honey, it’s been your turn for the past decade. 

Don’t you realize? We are responsible. The government won’t do sh*t. It is our turn to make a difference. Our turn to change these societal norms. Save five dollars and buy a loaf of bread, peanut butter, and jelly, and make some sandwiches to take to Guad next time you’re out there. Going to Lucky Lab? Get an extra croissant or drink for the person outside who hasn’t eaten yet. Going to Dollar Slice? Spend another dollar for a slice towards the person attempting to sleep on an empty stomach. 

We’re all at fault. We’re all responsible. We all need to make a difference. Why wait? The longer we wait, the larger the problem will become. 

Again,

I implore you

My Queens, Royal Theys, and Kings,

Take note that it is your turn.

Alma Perez

Texas '25

Hello, ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ I am a current student at UT Austin majoring in Neuroscience. I plan to write about the many experiences I have lived through in the first 19 years of my life. I hope you read and enjoy it! p.s. yes, I have a therapist and psychiatrist, don't worry <3