Why Mindy Kaling is Our Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

She has grown into a comedy icon and role model for girls and women; she embodies true quirky confidence and is unapologetically bold, always laughing at herself. While it’s tempting to endlessly address everything real and appealing about Mindy Kaling, let’s focus on a few specific moments.

Kaling was recently named Glamour Magazine’s 2014 Woman of the Year. Lena Dunham, 2012 Woman of the Year, believes this title new title is deserved because “her comic voice is as singular as her speaking one. An intellectual who is also a pop-culture queen, she can move between Audrey Hepburn poise and raucous relatability.”

http://www.glamour.com/inspired/women-of-the-year/2014/mindy-kaling  

Many of us first witnessed her charm through her character, Kelly Kapoor, on The Office; however, she now writes, edits, and acts as the focal character, Mindy Lahiri, in her own show, The Mindy Project, through which she proves we are not alone in our struggles to claim only one best friend.

Perhaps the most notable moment of Kaling’s past year was her speech at Harvard Law School’s Class Day ceremony (which can be found on YouTube).  But don’t be fooled; her academic background at Dartmouth doesn’t stop her from alluding to Elle Woods and Legally Blonde as a “documentary,” as we all would.

Kaling’s first book, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, was a New York Times Bestseller (and her sophomore book is due in early of next year!). We all know at least five friends who have read it, which seems pretty suspected considering it’s full of quotes that tell the stories of our lives:

I’m only marginally qualified to be giving advice at all. My body mass index is certainly not ideal, I frequently use my debit card to buy things that cost less than three dollars because I never have cash on me, and my bedroom is so untidy it looks like vandals ransacked the Anthropologie Sale section. I’m kind of a mess.”

And don’t forget about Twitter. Her 3 million followers latch on to every ridiculous-yet-also-completely-normal tweet. (I mean, how can we not?)

We all feel like Mindy Kaling is our BFF. “I love it, but it scares me a little bit, that responsibility,” she says. “I want to be a good best friend.”

I am Corisa but a lot of my friends call me Cori! I feel like the real life Hannah Horvath from Girls.