Why I’m In Love with Abraham Lincoln

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Once on a road trip, my friend and I wasted away the long hours debating about cute boys. This is a normal girl activity, for sure. The boys in question, however, were not the likes of the Glee cast, Channing Tatum, or the Bieb (of course, that last one’s just because we’re not twelve years old). Instead, we argued over the cutest president. Out of all 43 of the United States’ political leaders, we needed to decide not which had the most successful economic platform or which left the greatest legacy. No, it was our duty as American citizens and as 19 year-old-girls to answer the all important question: hot or not?

JFK with his classically handsome face and youthful persona is an obvious answer as hot, of course. We likewise agreed that movie star Ronald Reagan was attractive—in his thirtysomethings. We mutually acknowledged that Clinton was charming, Wilson was handsome, and young McCain was sexy (even if he lost the election). We ignored such leaders as Taft (sorry about the bathtub), Nixon (too sweaty), and Jackson (too mean!). But our tastes diverged as we talked about my one true love, Baberaham Lincoln. My friend questioned my sanity when I told her I was in love with our 16th president.

She tried to convince me he was a giant. (How can a guy be too tall?) That his face was sunken-in. (He has a haunting beauty!). That he was depressed. (A little moodiness in a guy is always cute!) Despite all of her arguments, I remained firm in my affection. While I love Abe’s cute lankiness and strong jaw, it’s his personality that I most value.

As loyal as Lincoln was to the union, I know he’d be faithful to me. He fought for what he believed in and stood up for what was important to him. He was passionate and bold (have you read the Gettysburg Address?). He was also intelligent. There’s no way Abe would spend his nights watching Jersey Shore re-runs, he’d be found working hard on a paper in the PCL or reading for fun at Mozart’s. Lincoln was quite and unassuming but under his shy persona, he was strong in character. I’d be lucky to one day date a man like Abe.

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.