Why cuddles are my favorite part of the fall season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Let’s be honest here, who doesn’t love cuddles especially when it’s been a long day and the weather gets cooler. Cuddles are my personal favorite part of a relationship because of the comfort that it brings when you’re having a rough day. Now that the fall has started, and the stress is rolling in, it’s a good idea to check up on those who don’t have cuddle buddies. However, I am in no way shape, or form trying to say everyone needs someone to cuddle with to feel better because who doesn’t love alone time to curl up in a blanket in front of a TV to watch Christmas movies. 

In Texas, when the weather falls below 70 degrees we tend to bring out the beanies and big jackets. After a long day of classes in cold weather, who doesn’t love to go to bed and cuddle for a few hours. It has been scientifically proven that having someone to cuddle with can increase your mental health in stressful moments. Fall eventually means fall finals and fall projects which means stress. Now, what’s a better reward for a stressful week than a movie night full of snacks and cuddles. 

If you’re reading this and thinking, “ Yeah I’m not a big hugger”, I said the same thing. I used to think my love language was the opposite of physical touch because I’ve always been such an awkward hugger but I’ve learned that there’s nothing that can help me feel better than having your person hug you in a moment of vulnerability. Speaking from personal experience, cuddles don’t only satisfy the warm feeling that you have when someone hugs you but they help bring out a more vulnerable side of a relationship that builds a better and deeper connection. Having a healthy relationship with your partner can immensely increase when there’s a mutual understanding of a stressful week and all you both need is the intimacy that a simple hug can justify. I personally don’t destress by partying, drinking, or having sex. This makes cuddle time my favorite part of the week that indicates my work for the week is done and I get to just sit back and relax.

Now, I’m not writing this in a sense of making anyone feel like they NEED to have someone to cuddle with. I wanted to express a new idea that can potentially help you relieve some stress by taking a moment out of your day to give you some comfort. Also, giving a special shoutout to my cuddle buddy, that shall not be named, for now, comforts me in moments of stress.

Hi! I'm Melody a current Communication and Leadership major at the University of Texas at Austin. I am a first-generation college student that comes from a small town in Mexico called Ibarra, Michoacan. Some of my current interests are cooking, coffee, dancing, social media, fashion and currently anything that relates to Taylor's Version.