What’s New In Pop Culture: December Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

With the holiday season in full swing and a constant supply of media controversies, keeping up with what’s new and trending can be somewhat of a task. To help keep you up to date with the latest information on television, film, books, etc., here is a list of the hottest pop culture drops to watch out for in December. 

‘Gossip Girl’

HBO Max’s original hit series based on the CW Gossip Girl series has made its way back into our lives with the recent premiere of season two on Dec. 1. This season is set to have ten episodes and is already off to a scandalous start with high-end high school rivalries and family drama. Aside from the drama, audiences can expect to be met with familiar extravagant fashion statements which are a staple of the show. 

‘Titans’

As far as Superhero shows go, HBO’s Titans is one of the best out there. Playing off of the DC-originated cast of characters, Titans is now airing its much anticipated fourth season. With a supernatural-driven plot, this season stars some new faces including Joseph Morgan from ‘The Vampire Diaries’ and ‘The Originals.’

‘Avatar: The Way of Water’

James Cameron’s latest Disney film Avatar: The Way of Water, will be hitting theaters on Dec. 16. The film is a continuance of the 2009 film Avatar, which uses a fictional sci-fi approach to explore the impact of human greed and violence on the environment. According to Disney, the new film is set to follow the main characters from the first film, Jake Sully, Neytiri, and their new family over a decade after the events of the first film. 

‘Emily In Paris’

The trailer release for the long-awaited season three of Emily In Paris, one of Netflix’s hit original series was recently released, with the new season approaching its release date as well. The last season left fans with a cliffhanger as to where the main character’s future is headed. The new season, which is set to be released on Netflix on Dec. 21, will most likely explore Emily in a new work environment dynamic, as well as explore her romantic relationships and the love triangle that was set up last season. 

‘Anastasia’ by Sophie Lark

If you are a fan of the animated film Anastasia, then this December book release might be the perfect fit for you. Anastasia by Sophie Lark is set to be released on Dec. 6 and follows the familiar story we all know, with a more magically inclined perspective. If you’ve ever wondered what Anastasia might have done against Rasputin if she had magical powers of her own, this book is just what you’re looking for.

Ilyanna Santos is an aspiring writer and journalist from Austin, Texas. She is currently studying journalism at the University of Texas at Austin and is the Marketing and Social Media Director for Shamari Realty. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, and having a good cup of tea.