Strong Arms Girl
Strong Arms Girl
Her Campus Media

What Makes You Feel Strong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Lately, I have been feeling pretty down about myself. There was a point where I felt confident and strong, but I’ve lost that self-assurance. I started thinking about all the women in my life who I admire, and I wondered what made them feel strong or what they admire in other strong women. Here’s what they had to say:

“Believing in herself. Knowing who she is and what she stands for. Not letting anyone else’s opinions shake her foundation.” – Jessica

“Being able to be comfortable and successful in the role I find important as a woman- being strong yet vulnerable, nurturing, and feminine. As I’ve gotten older, these values have gotten more important for me… And I assume will only become stronger when I am a Mother.” – Britni

“My family makes me feel strong. I know I would not have been able to accomplish all the things I have without their support and encouragement. They are my life’s blood, both figuratively and literally.” – Kristin 

“My friends, they lift me up and encourage me. Always supportive and helpful.” – Elizabeth

“Financial independence. Not having to depend or count on anyone else to be able to provide for myself and my children.” – Tara

“having a job, knowing I bring in my own money (although never enough money), the fact that my kids thinks I’m super woman helps me stay strong, and just believing in myself and knowing I’ve been through hell and back but I’m here still going.” – Kelly

“Making another woman feel good about herself.” – Jennifer

“Being a bitch who gets stuff done.” – Jillian

“Normally I don’t really have anything that makes me feel strong. But I feel pretty strong when I wake up, throw up, clean myself up and go to work. Pregnancy is kind of making me connect to my womaness.” – Laura

“Knowing that while I am not perfect, I strive for what is right in my heart and knowledge that I will survive. I have been through hell and back, I trust my faith and Gods good Grace’s.” – Kathy

“My career. Being the youngest licensed architect in my firm at the time I got my license. Being a leader in my firm. Managing one of the largest projects in the office, and one of the largest hospital expansions in the Kansas City metro.” – Ashlee

I’m still a long way from where I want to be, but reading positive words from these amazing women is certainly inspirational to me.

Mandy Burt

Texas '21

Mandy is a senior studying at the Moody College of Communication.