Voting – the Who, What, When, Where, and Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

This year’s election is a big deal. With early voting underway, lots of counties in Texas are already breaking voter turnout records. Even before voting began, a record 90% of eligible voters in Travis County registered. The stakes are high. The buildup is massive. And trust me, you don’t want to miss this one. So here’s a quick and easy guide with all you need to know about voting in this election.

WHO You! Your best friend! Your worst enemy! As long as you registered, you’re cordially invited by the United States of America to cast your vote.

WHAT In case you missed it, this year we’re hiring a new President. That’s certainly what’s got the most people talking. But don’t forget the little guys! If you aren’t up to speed on the smaller (but no less important) races, take the time to get informed. Check out online voting guides and read what the newspapers have to say about endorsements. Seriously. It may be tedious, but you’ll probably learn something. Like did you know that the Railroad Commissioner actually handles natural gas, oil, and energy? Definitely not a race to skip over! So get informed! And here’s a tip – you can take notes in with you when you vote. Write down your picks, make your selections, and post a picture with your sticker.  

WHEN Early voting has begun! It continues until November 4th. Hours vary by location. Disclaimer: I know we’re all excited about the Presidential race, but don’t jump the gun and vote until you’ve locked down your picks in the smaller races, too! Try to get out to the polls early if you can. It’ll save you lots of time and allow you to watch election coverage all day on the 8th (yippee).

If you prefer the rush of voting on Election Day, mark your calendar for November 8th. 7AM – 7PM. Late class? As long as you’re in line by 7:00PM, you get to cast your vote.

Registered back home? Absentee is the way to go. Get your ballot in by November 8th and you’re golden.

WHERE For us UT students, your best bet is probably the FAC. Drop by before class, between class, or after class. Just drop by. There are plenty of other polling locations across Travis County for you more adventurous types. Links provided at the bottom with the full list of locations and hours.

WHY Despite what you may have heard, news flash, your vote DOES matter! This election, whatever happens, is historic. It’s one of those things where people will be asking “where were you when…” when we’re all old and gray. You’ll be kicking yourself if you miss out on this election. For a lot of us college kids, this is our first election we can vote in, and boy did we get a good one. Plus, Texas has been declared a swing state. You read that right. Us. Texas. A swing state. That’s huge! And it makes your one little vote huge as well.

Get ready, get informed, and get to the polls!

Helpful Links: Am I Registered? https://teamrv-mvp.sos.texas.gov/MVP/mvp.do Women’s League Voter’s Guide (no endorsements, just Q&A’s with all the candidates) http://lwvaustin.org/votersguide/Voters%20Guide%20Nov%202016%20Update%20-%20English.pdf Austin Chronicle Endorsements https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2016-10-21/all-endorsements/ Polling Locations in Travis County (and times!) http://traviscountyclerk.org/eclerk/Content.do?code=E.4

Caroline is a third year psychology and French major. Her hobbies include napping, crafting, and shopping. She wears entirely too much navy, spends entirely too much time at coffee shops, and laughs entirely too much at her own jokes (but hey, someone’s gotta do it). You can find her @carolineeelise if you feel so inclined.
Eleni is a nerd who prefers to be called an intellectual. She loves pondering philosophical questions and reflecting on life as a twenty-something, both of which she does on her blog: sharingimpressions.com. Anyone creative and curious is welcome.