UT Alum Brings “Dirty Fine Dining” to Austin Streets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

When Nicolas Patrizi meshed a UT business degree, a freight truck and a knack for making rotisserie chicken “sexy,” he created The Jalopy, a street cuisine truck located at the Austin intersection of Fifteenth Street and San Antonio Street that literally slides your food into the palms of your hands.

After a childhood chockfull of European dining and a young adulthood spent at McCombs Business School at UT, Patrizi is currently living his dream concocting items off the diverse menu that also caters to vegetarians. A few of the many options include The Jalopy Original, the Caprese, the Folleto, and Veggie Butler. Made-to-order veggie chips are offered as a side and come in a variety of seasonings such as barbeque, salt and vinegar, chili lime, parmesan garlic, sea salt, creamy dill, and margherita pizza. For customers that crave a sugary meal-sealer, Patrizi serves the Grilled Debbie; a Little Debbie oatmeal cream pie grilled and topped with sliced almonds, pickled apples, and powdered sugar. Since November, Patrizi opens for breakfast weekdays at 7AM to serve the Breakfast Chaco (chicken taco) and Green Eggs and Ham. The Jalopy’s pricing is notably reasonable with sandwiches ranging from $5.50 to $7. His fare has received positive reviews on Yelp, the Austin Chronicle, and Urbanspoon.

According to a Yelp review by Erica K. she said, “If heaven exists. And if heaven sold sandwiches. The Jalopy would be parked at the pearly gates to greet you as you walk in. Their sandwiches are to die for! (Then you can go to heaven and eat more).”

When asked where Patrizi gained his knowledge of food, he said, “ You get the best knowledge from simply eating, and I can eat.”  

Patrizi grew up in Genova, Switzerland where his father worked overseas for the US government. When time allowed, his family spent their disposable income making the hour-long drive to France or Germany to indulge in fine wine and cuisine.  His great grandfather and grandfather were both in the business by owning their own restaurants and Patrizi has been “bussing tables since [he] was a fetus.” Eventually he made his way back to Texas to attend UT Austin to pursue his degree in finance.  

The Jalopy restaurant idea was conceived shortly after Patrizi realized he wasn’t going to settle for an investment banking job in Houston. His restaurant dream faltered, however, when he realized that it would take half a million dollars of capital to get the operation up and running. His solution lied in an old BBQ truck owned by the world champion team, “Poke in Da Eye,” that traversed the United States spreading their fare. Nic admits, he did have to gut and refurbish the truck, hence the name the Jalopy; an old dilapidated motor vehicle. Nevertheless, the end result shows a tidy stainless steel kitchen and murals from local artists wrapping themselves around the exterior in a very Austin-esque fashion. A slide that delivers your foil-clad sandwiches straight to your hand s completes the truck’s unique character.

Many fresh-faced chefs with high expectations to succeed and self-confidence in their cuisine strike out onto the Austin blacktops to yield a profit while living their restaurant-owning dreams. However, many don’t make it in the eclectic restaurant environment that seems to be a staple of Austin culture. So what makes Nic Patrizi and the Jalopy able to balance the books and excel in this risky business ? 
 “It’s socially sexy to eat good food,” said Patrizi.

In Austin Patrizi claims 5 percent of the population, and growing, harbors this cultural idea. This is the demographic a food guru targets when gaining  local customer retention and building a reputation. Patrizi calls this growing demographic “mavens of the market,” and he focuses his energy and marketing tools to constantly appeal to their palates. 

As Patrizi continues to produce what he calls “dirty fine dining,” the Jalopy’s future holds many possibilities. A year from now, Patrizi sees the Jalopy “on cruise control” and possibly opening a replica in San Marcos. A brick-and-mortar restaurant could compliment Patrizi’s big rig when he considers long-term goals as well. 

The Jalopy Rotisserie and Press 
Phone: (512) 814-8557 
Website: www.jalopyaustin.com 
Hours: M-F, 7AM-8PM
 SAT. 12PM-4PM

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.