This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

A slow song ambles through my earbuds as I type this article, helping me retain my focus and block out distractions. While many people may play albums in the background when they’re studying or writing, fiction writers can find a wealth of support by engaging with this other form of art.

For novelists who prioritize character development, music can help a writer connect with their character. I have playlists for every character of my longer works that I’ll listen to when I’m writing or thinking about my stories. In the initial phase, you set aside time to consider which songs suit your characters. But the benefit of character playlists goes beyond that; I find myself thinking about my stories much more often when I’m listening to music, wondering how a particular character would perceive a song. Even when you aren’t actively thinking about your story, character playlists form new reminders for you to develop your craft. If I hear one of my character’s songs when I’m driving or shopping, I remember that I should be writing!

Along with character playlists, writers can consider songs as sources of inspiration. You may not want to follow the exact story of a song, but you can see what thoughts plot elements or lyrics may invite into your story. Whether you like a song’s name or the pairing of certain images in a lyric, you can let ideas from songs guide your stories onto new paths.

Writers can even analyze the structure of stories within the songs they hear to inform how they frame their own work. Do you feel wistful or melancholy every time you hear a certain song? Ask yourself how much of that emotion comes from the narrative. How can you incorporate those elements into your own stories? Though your audience may not hear your story aloud, how can you shape the words to evoke certain emotions? Listening to music as I write draws my attention to the sounds in my own story, both in what my characters hear and which words I choose to amplify their experiences.

Next time you write a story, think about how music can inspire, expand, or organize your narrative. See what overlapping art forms may inspire!

Anna Dolliver is a junior studying Chinese and English at the University of Texas at Austin. An aspiring novelist and teacher, you will often find her wandering the shelves of a library, reading outside, or writing in rooms filled with windows. She is currently studying abroad in Taiwan; you can read about her experience at her blog, www.talesoftaiwan.com.
Socialite, blogger, perfectionist; suffering from fomo and currently attending the University of Texas at Austin. Advertising major and member of Zeta Tau Alpha fraternity.