This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Texas vs. Oklahoma rivalry football game is one of the most fun yet chaotic times of the Longhorn year. However, the traditions of this weekend, particularly in Greek life, can be perplexing to someone who is unfamiliar. This article is here to guide you through this confusion as well as tell you everything you need to know to have a successful burnt orange weekend. 

As you walk around West Campus and dorms, one may notice painted coolers populating the common areas. No, sadly it’s not a Yeti promotion. These colorful coolers are painted by the dates of frat guys with fun themes, pictures, and often the specific frat symbol. After the masterpiece is dry, the date fills it with alcohol for the couple to share throughout the weekend. Meanwhile, the frat guy is expected to buy tickets, book a hotel, and take care of food and transportation. It is also important to keep in mind that this is expected to be an overnight date, which poses problems of its own when paired with alcohol and a foreign environment (stay safe ladies, resources linked below). Once all of these formalities have been completed and the football truly begins, the dates are expected to sit with the fraternity during the game and the couple will often enjoy the state fair or go to Dallas nightclubs during the post-football festivities. 

Now that the Greek traditions have been explained, here are some ways that you can stay safe and have a good time at TX OU whether you are Greek or simply going with friends!

What to Bring:

• Sunscreen
  • Hat
  • Sunglasses
  • Pepper Spray
  • Clear bag
  • Extra snacks
  • Longhorn spirit!

Final Tips & Tricks:
1. Bring water in your cooler. Hydration isn’t lame!

2. Have a plan of how to get back to your hotel BEFORE you go out. Take a business card from the hotel or write down the address in a text to a friend! Your 2 am self and Uber driver will thank you. 

3. Stay with your group. Dallas is a beautiful but also dangerous city, there’s power in numbers!

Resources:

Dallas Police Department: 9-1-1 Dallas County

Dallas Area Rape Crisis Center: 972-641-7273

Contact Counseling and Crisis Line: 972-233-2233

Thanks & Hook ‘Em :)

Howdy! My name is Sydney & I love wellness, lifestyle, fashion, outdoors, and just all things fun! Follow along my journey for more :)