This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

We have entered what I would call the dog days of winter where the weather is 80 degrees one day and below freezing the next. In these miserable days of seasonal uncertainty, I find myself doing two things: wishing for the days I can wear certain clothes, and finding actual useful transitional pieces to shape my wardrobe. I have provided a combination of fun trends I look forward to partaking in as the season progresses, as well as styles that I think would be a great addition to everyone’s wardrobe in the meantime. 

Platform Shoes:

I have been living in my platform Converse since Christmas. As a short girl, I am in love with this trend because it feels like the extra two inches of height put me on top of the world as I stand with my back a little straighter and with an ounce more confidence. Anything from sneakers, to the most elegant and fabulous platform heels, this trend is elevating every outfit. The versatility is refreshing and accommodating to a wide range of consumers and I know I will be incorporating this style into my spring and summer wardrobe.

Ultra-Mini Skirt:

I don’t think this trend comes as a surprise to anyone who has been on Pinterest recently. With the ever-rising popularity of the 2000 and 2010s fashion, it was inevitable that the micro-skirt trend resurface. Coined by Paris Hilton, the iconic 2000s princess, “skirts should be the size of a belt,” and they sure are now. I have to admit, I have recently purchased a low-rise mini skirt that I never would have thought to be my style a year ago, but I still struggle with putting together outfits that merge modernity and still do justice to the original spirit of the trend. Though the skirts are typically tiny and best for summer or spring, they can be worn on colder days with tights and fleece. Ultimately, I am looking forward to seeing all of the hot girl mini skirt outfits this summer. 

Gloves and Leg warmers:

Extra layering is essential in braving the erratic Texas weather, and wearing gloves and leg warmers is the best way to still stay fashionable while being warm. They can be dainty or grunge, but all around they have a very cool girl aesthetic. The pieces are also useful for transitioning from winter to spring, as they are easy to take on and off. Overall, they are very underrated and cozy articles. 

Corset Tops:

The Urban Outfitters Modern Love Corset has been living in everyone’s mind rent-free since it blew up on TikTok. While it is somewhat impossible to get a hold of, I have made it my life’s mission to thrift a corset top this season. I love the subtle sultry look of a lingerie-style top dressed down with jeans and boots for a night out and I think this trend will be around for a while. 

Katlynn is a journalism student at the University of Texas at Austin. She has a love for sustainability, fashion, writing, music and activism. Her goal is to pursue a career in entertainment writing. Additionally, her other passions include yoga, chess and taking care of her dachshund-chihuahua mix, Margo.