Top Three: Romance Novels That Aren’t Toxic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Looking to sit down with a good romance novel book this fall… tired of reading toxic tropes? This compilation of books is meant to suit all your hopeless romantic needs without the terrible partner, cringy scenarios, and disrespectful dialogue…

NOrthern Lights

By: Nora Roberts

Nate Burke, was a degrading cop in Baltimore before he moved to the small Alaskan town of Lunacy to become police chief. His new life is the opposite of his once bustling career in Baltimore, but that’s just what he needs after the trauma of seeing his partner pass away. He may be seeking solidarity but soon he will meet Meg Galloway, a local pilot with her own emotional affliction. It doesn’t take long for the two of them to catch each other’s eye, but will they be able to handle the trauma between them or could it bring them closer together? This is a great novel if you’re looking for a romance with a little bit of angst. Nora Roberts is known as a romance author for a reason- she will have you swooning every page turn. Northern Lights also is featured from the male perspective of Nate Burke, something not seen as often in romance novels, and often not done well when it is. However, unlike many other romance novels from the male perspective, Northern lights feature the journey and captivation of falling for someone rather than the crude portrayal of an ‘object of desire.’

The Flatshare

By: Beth O’Leary

This centers around Tiffy Moore who, after breaking up with her crazy ex-boyfriend, is desperately looking for a cheap housing option in London. When she realizes her assistant position won’t be able to cover the expensive housing in London, she knows it’s time to look for other options. That’s when she finds an ad for a very affordable flatshare with someone who works a night shift. Tiffy soon learns that she will be sharing not only the flat but also the bed with her unknown roommate under the condition that he will only be at the flat while Tiffy is at work. Despite having never met him, Tiffy is introduced to her flatmate, Leon Twomey, as they begin to exchange small messages through notes left around the flat. These messages start out simple enough but soon develop into something more personal, more romantic… The only thing standing in their way is a rule in their agreement that states neither of them will ever meet each other. This book is an easy read, definitely not one of those books you have to put down every three pages to breathe. If you’re a big fan of the ‘sharing one-bed’ trope this book is definitely for you.

Get a Life, Chloe Brown

By: Talia Hibbert

Chloe Brown, after having a near-death experience, realizes it’s time to take control of her life and push herself out of her comfort zone-doing things she never would have done before. Being chronically ill with fibromyalgia, she realizes it’s now or never to take risks, so she makes an itemized list of all the things she’s been too afraid to do. Her first stop on this journey sees her moving away from her rich family and into her own flat. After moving into her new flat she meets Red Morgan, an artist, who also happens to be the supervisor of the building. Chloe and Red don’t start out on the right foot, as Red looks down on Chloe for coming from a wealthy background. Despite the disparity between the two Chloe can’t seem to look away from Red, especially when he’s painting. After an accidental encounter, Chloe finds herself relying on the help of Red, marking the beginning of unseen interaction between the two. How will this unfold, and will Red ever be able to see Chloe for more than her background? I am a sucker for perspective, so I love that this book offers a look through both Chloe’s and Red’s sides of the story. This book is also written by a woman of color, Talia Hibbert, who works to change the stereotypes of romance novels by implementing characters of color.

Sophmore at the University of Texas, Austin. I love horror novels, hair metal, and collecting fashion dolls...