Top Five Christmas Movies to Get You in the Holiday Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Now that Thanksgiving is over we can happily enjoy Christmas movies without any grinches grumbling about it being too early! I have my own little tradition of ending Thanksgiving night by watching one of my favorite Christmas movies, “Christmas with the Kranks”. I thought I’d share some of my favorite Christmas movies with you to get you in the spirit, and help you make it through these last few weeks of the semester!

• “Christmas with the Kranks”

As I mentioned, this is one of my favorite Christmas movies ever. I’m not even sure why I enjoy it so much, but I do. This film includes Tim Allen who plays Luther Krank. Luther decides he and his wife are going to skip Christmas, and save their money and spend it on a cruise instead, however, their daughter announces she’s returning home for Christmas at the last minute.

• “Elf”

I’m sure many of you know about this film. This is an absolute favorite of mine, because I love Will Ferrell in this movie. Buddy the elf finds out he’s actually a human and decides to go to New York City to visit his biological dad who just so happens to be on Santa’s naughty list. His father reluctantly begins a relationship with Buddy resulting in some chaotic scenarios.

• “Home Alone”

Poor Kevin. His family forgets about him when they leave for Paris for the holiday. This film is a classic holiday watch.

• “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation”

Honestly the amount of people who tell me they’ve never seen this movie astounds me. I grew up with this on VHS, it was a classic in our family, and I always looked forward to watching it at Christmas time even if I ended up developing an irrational fear of getting stuck underneath a semi truck.

• “The Santa Clause”

Another childhood staple. This movie is a great one, and is another film I always watch multiple times every holiday season. Personally, I prefer the first over the sequels, but they’re all worth a watch.

Now go bundle up in some cozy blankets and fuzzy Christmas socks with a warm mug of cocoa and binge watch some holiday movies! Happy holidays!

Izabella is a transfer student studying journalism at UT with an interest in social justice reporting. She enjoys reading, photography, podcasts, and cuddling with her dog, Jinxx.
I am a third year English major hoping to become a book editor. I have been writing for HerCampus for one year, and am excited to work as a Co-Editor this year. I love reading and staying home with my cat, Luna.