Top Christmas Movies to Watch During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Everyone’s favorite holiday of the year has officially arrived- Christmas. This is a time that is full of love, laughter, and holiday cheer. Most importantly, it is also the time of year that it becomes acceptable to watch movies that are centered around the holiday season. Here’s a list that features the best of the best that will surely get you into the holiday spirit.

1. A Christmas Story- 1983

My family literally watches this at least 20 times during the month of December. This 1983 classic is a staple to watch with family and friends for the holiday season. The hilarious antics that Ralphie gets up to with his equally entertaining family are sure to warm the hearts of viewers and define the true meaning of Christmas.

2. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation-1989

Another 80’s classic- this film perfectly depicts what it is like to have your entire family over for the holidays. It is honestly very relatable.

3. Elf-2003

You already knew this would be somewhere on this list. An absolute holiday staple film that lives rent-free in our heads year-round. I wouldn’t judge you if you literally watched this in July- it’s a great film with an amazing storyline.

4. The Nightmare Before Christmas-1993

This Tim Burton creation is the whole package- great plot, great characters, and an amazing soundtrack. We’re not gonna sit here and act like This Is Halloween doesn’t belong on our Spotify playlists. It truly is such a good movie that celebrates just how the Christmas spirit really does affect us.

5. Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer- 1964

Yeah, that’s right. “Home Alone” didn’t make it on this list- sue me. I honestly think this 1964 stop motion film depicting the story of everyone’s favorite reindeer deserves more appreciation. It’s a cute holiday classic that is fun to watch.

Now that you are equipped with movie knowledge, it’s time to share it with everyone else! The Christmas season is all about spending time with friends and family, so plan a movie night and get the hot chocolate ready.

Ameera Ozzie is currently a senior attending the University of Texas at Austin. She is a Public Relations major who enjoys learning about all things social media-related and keeping up with entertainment news. With dreams and aspirations of working with high-fashion companies on their Public Relations teams, Ameera hopes to make an impact on the world no matter what she is doing.