3 Coraline Fan Theories that are Sure To Have You Rethinking The Film

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

You don’t need buttons for eyes to see that the wildly popular stop-motion film Coraline has gained quite a cult following since its theatrical release in 2009. And rightfully so the film’s psychedelic animations and unsettling plot have undoubtedly withstood the test of time. For those unfamiliar, the film follows a young protagonist named Coraline Jones as she navigates an idealized parallel universe, but not without discovering its dark secrets. Because sometimes, things are too good to be true. A source of comfort for some and a must-watch Halloween classic for many, Coraline exhibits a sort of timelessness all films wish to achieve, but very few can.

The secret?

Well, though there’s no set formula for creating timeless art, I believe part of Coraline’s success lies within its re-watch value. With every replay, regardless of how many times you’ve seen the film, eagle-eyed viewers always seem to notice something they didn’t see the first go round. And for that reason, many fans have become invested in the Coraline universe by constantly raising unanswered questions, developing unique fan theories, and pointing out fun facts for all to enjoy.

Curious to hear more? Here are three of my favorite Coraline fan theories/observations to peak your interest.

(Content Warning: This article will contain spoilers.)

Coraline is “welcome,” but not “home.”

As described by TikTok user @coralinetheories111, Coraline’s “Welcome Home” cake, gifted to her in the Other World, features a double loop on the lowercase “o” in the word home.

Graphology, which is the analysis of a person’s handwriting, states that a double looped “o” is indicative that a person is lying.

Since the double loop is only on the “o” in the word home, it means Coraline was certainly welcome but not truly in a place she can call “home.”

Wybie’s Grandmother, Mrs. Lovat, Used Coraline As Bait.

Though she only appears at the end of the film, Wybie’s grandmother Mrs. Lovat is the talk of this theory. Many fans believe she played a significant role in Coraline’s trip to the Other World.

Mrs. Lovat owns the Pink Palace apartment complex where Coraline’s family lives. However, Wybie lets viewers know his grandmother never allowed tenants with children to move in. That is, not until the Jones family, of course.

The rule existed because Mrs. Lovat’s twin sister went missing when they lived there and became a victim to the Other Mother, also known as the Beldam. Essentially, the rule was a protective measure to ensure no other families experienced this same fate. Then why allow the Jones family to move into the complex?

YouTuber The Theorizer suggests Mrs. Lovat allowed the Jones family to move in because she knew the Beldam must have grown restless for another victim after so many years. Wybie was also arriving at the age the Beldam tends to prey on children, and Mrs. Lovat needed to do something to protect him. Thus, allowing the Jones family to move into the Pink Palace apartments and shifting all the attention to a new child: Coraline.

Coraline never returned to the real world.

For those who have seen the film, we all know how it ends: everyone lives happily ever after!

Or do they?

Not many fans seem to think so, as some believe Coraline’s victorious return to the real world never happened. After her first trip to the Other World, viewers noticed Coraline did not return home via the tunnel she used to get there. Instead, she falls asleep in bed and magically appears back “home” after getting a good night’s rest.

Fans like TikToker @coraline.burton believe Coraline never left the Other World and that the rest of the film (after the described moment above) is an illusion orchestrated by the Beldam to keep her trapped there forever. And yes, they have the evidence to back these claims up. Youtubers like BigOEntertainment and The Fangirl have great in-depth videos explaining their own takes on this theory for anyone looking for more details.

Conclusion

These few theories are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the Coraline fan lore, with many dedicated fans on platforms like TikTok, YouTube, and Reddit expounding on new thoughts and ideas. For anyone interested in learning more, I highly recommend The Theorizer’s compiled Coraline Theory YouTube video for a complete explanation of all the film’s unanswered questions.

And if its been a while since you’ve last seen it (or you’ve never gotten to experience it at all), be sure to watch Coraline this fall, now streaming online for free on the Roku Channel.

Ashley Coleman is an undergraduate student studying journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She is most passionate about media representation and all things related to pop culture. When she’s not writing, you can find her learning a new dance, fangirling over Zendaya, or making a quick trip to the nearest boba shop.