This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

House of Leaves

By: Mark Z. Danielewski

House of Leaves is a novel with an extreme cult following for good reason. The book has a very unique writing structure that is, for lack of a better word, labyrinthic. Parts of the book are written in spirals, individual squares, and other shapes. In general, this novel is a mind-bender that definitely leaves you scratching your brain. The book follows a man who finds a family’s writings that describe their experiences in a strange house. The more you read, the more you question what’s real and what’s not.

Things have gotten worse since we last spoke

By: Eric LaRocca

Things Have Gotten Worse Since We Last Spoke is definitely one of BookTok’s darker and more graphic reads. The novel follows two women who meet in an online chatroom and develop an intense longing to meet each other. This longing grows into a dangerous fixation with terrible consequences. This was such an engaging read because a lot of it is presented in the form of emails and chat logs that made me feel like it was personal. 

The Only good Indians

By: Stephen Graham Jones

I would like to preface this by saying that I absolutely loved this book and the personal connection that the contents of the novel had to the author. Stephen Graham Jones himself is a member of the Blackfeet tribe, a Native American tribe located in Montana. The story takes inspiration from many of his own experiences and stories from his culture. In specific the novel follows a young man who is haunted by an entity after an elk hunt. I know this is extremely vague, but saying any more would give away the best parts of this book. I love how the book questions the character’s intentions and begs the question – who is really the bad guy in the guise of identity and revenge?

Sophmore at the University of Texas, Austin. I love horror novels, hair metal, and collecting fashion dolls...