This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

I didn’t really have the best childhood experience. Partially due to my dysfunctional relationships with my parents, I was looking forward to growing up and finally being on my own at a young age. But having been on my own for nearly two years, there are still some parts of myself I feel have not healed from my childhood. So recently, I’ve been doing things that help me embrace my inner child while also making me feel good – I don’t really know how to explain it, but here are some things that I’ve been doing that make the small child in me scream with joy.

Gaming

This one is so mundane and straightforward, but I bought a Nintendo Switch last year, and it was honestly life-changing. I don’t know if it was the Switch itself or if it was Animal Crossing – probably a mixture of both. With the Switch, I can play all my favorite games like Mario Kart, Minecraft, WiiSports, Just Dance, and the list goes on. But as far as Animal Crossing goes, that game gives me PURPOSE. My villagers are so kind to me, and all I have to do is decorate and keep my island pristine and liveable. It’s great, honestly, and It makes me feel good.

Coloring

This one is probably more practical and inexpensive. During my first year in college, I bought a coloring book and would sit out on the patio of my dorm and color while listening to podcasts. It was genuinely free therapy. It lets me sit and reflect while also grounding myself because I was able to appreciate and value life outside on the patio.

Reading

I used to read a lot when I was younger, and I think I stopped after I got my first phone. But I remember how happy it would make me and how I would get lost in words and fall into the story. So before getting to college, I bought a good solid five books I had researched beforehand to make sure I really liked them. And well, by the end of the first semester of my freshman year, I read all five. So that’s my new routine: buy five books per semester and read them. Reading – especially fiction – gives me back the imaginative mindset I used to have as a kid.

A Little Treat

My parents never really bought me things unless it was my birthday or Christmas, not that there’s anything wrong with that. But, as I grew older, I realized it is kind of necessary for self-love. So every two weeks, I’ll splurge on a candle at Target or a new coffee flavor, maybe even a book I’ve been wanting. Usually, when I buy myself a little treat, I’ll tell myself that I am proud of myself because I don’t think I get told enough by anyone around me, and even if I do, I won’t believe it until I start being proud of myself. So the little treat incentive kind of reinforces that self-love I am trying to give myself.

Those are just a few things that I’ve been doing recently to heal my inner child but also learn how to have a healthy, loving relationship with myself because, at the end of the day, the only person that will have me is me, and I got to show up for myself. So maybe you can try a few of these ideas for yourself or find something that connects to hobbies you used to have or want to try out. 

Talisa Treviño is a Junior (2025) Journalism major and Government minor in the Moody College Honors Program at The University of Texas. She is interested in audio storytelling and feature writing. When she has down time her hobbies include watching too much Bravo reality TV shows and playing Animal Crossing New Horizons.