This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

2022. A fresh start. A new year. 

This year, I made it my mission to put myself first. For so much of my life, I devoted my energy to pleasing others before considering how I felt. While devoting time and energy to others is important, if you do not leave enough for yourself, there will be nothing. Just emptiness and a sense of feeling utterly drained. I am sure many of you can relate to this. Not only would I do this, but I was my biggest critic. I would feel like I was never doing enough. Not pretty enough, not smart enough, not ambitious enough and the list goes on. And I would never say such hurtful and demeaning words to others, but just to myself. 

What really shifted this mindset was realizing that the body and soul I have were the ones given to me. A gift that will be with me forever. A bond that will last longer than any other. I took it upon myself to make 2022 the year I implement changes that will embody this new mindset. 

I began limiting the amount of time I spend on my phone. I started to write affirmations, goals, and reflections each morning. Both of these have allowed me to be present in the moment in a state of calmness. For me, listening to music in the car is the most therapeutic sensation. I now go on a few drives each week to just have a moment of peace. It is a way for me to sightsee and just be present. Whenever I think I look pretty, I now take a picture of myself. I write down the ideas that come across my mind anytime throughout the day. Whether it is funny conversations I overhear in a coffee shop, something I am grateful for, or even a funny TikTok idea. Every time I enter a grocery store, I will always purchase flowers for myself. I reward myself with sushi after stressful weeks. I started to take myself out on fun little dates and walks around the city. I no longer beat myself up over the small flaws. I love the feeling sunsets give me so I decided to take a picture every time I see one. I have come to the conclusion that it is the small things in life that can change your whole perspective on yourself.

I realized it is ok to be alone. It is more than ok. Being alone is one of the most beautiful things in life. Putting yourself first and getting to know you is something everyone should do. Ultimately, it is you who will be with you until the end.

Lauren is a Junior studying Government and Economics at the University of Texas. An avid coffee drinker and sushi fanatic, Lauren enjoys exploring the city, attending concerts, and discovering new music. Aside from writing, in her free time she can be seen reading, having weekly movie nights, and spending time with friends and family.