This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

If you haven’t been to South Congress, you’re truly missing out. It’s filled with tons of trendy shops and restaurants that radiate Austin culture, and it’s a less than 15-minute drive from UT! Below are some of my favorite places to go when I’m on SoCo.

Restaurants:

• Magnolia Cafe: Magnolia is truly a SoCo staple. They have lots of different food options like Tex-Mex and traditional diner food, but they are most popular for their brunch. I like to get the Hawaiian burger, which comes with grilled pineapple and pico de gallo. Pro tip: Magnolia is super crowded during lunch, but they serve their full menu (even brunch) all day. If you want to avoid the wait, try coming for dinner instead!
  • The Salty: If you’re a Longhorn, you’ve probably seen The Salty’s food truck on campus. The Salty serves coffee and donuts in many unique flavors and has a super cute space that’s great for studying. I recommend their seasonal pumpkin spice french toast doughnut.
  • Home Slice Pizza: I’m not kidding when I say this is literally the best pizza I’ve ever had. Home Slice has New York-style pizzas, which come by the slice or as a full pie, but they also have calzones and subs. My go-to order is the Margherita pizza, which has mozzarella, tomatoes, and lots of fresh garlic and basil.
  • Hopdoddy Burger Bar: While Hopdoddy isn’t local to SoCo, I still included them because they’re a great option for burgers, fries, and milkshakes. My favorites are the parmesan truffle fries and the Nutella chocolate pretzel shake.

Shops:

• Maya Star: This boutique is organized by color, making it easy to find what you’re looking for. They have really nice dresses and accessories from independent designers at various price points. I’m a fan of their jewelry and even bought a ring there last week.
  • Prima Dora: This gift shop is super eclectic and a great place to bring friends and family who want some Austin souvenirs. It’s also right next to Magnolia Cafe and is a great place to hang out while you’re waiting for a table.
  • Paper Work: Paperwork is a huge store that has tons of prints and local art. They also have jewelry and accessories that are Austin related, which make amazing gifts. 

I hope y’all enjoy these places as much as I do and can find your own little slice of SoCo!

Sarah is a second-year journalism student at the University of Texas at Austin and serves as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Texas. She loves fashion, beauty, and music and enjoys sharing these interests in her writing.