The Culture Of K-pop Concerts & Why You Should Go To One!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

On the last weekend of March, I was able to finally see my favorite (or ultimate) K-pop group Stray Kids live! After discovering them at the start of the pandemic, I waited 3 long years (and survived one heart-wrenching COVID-induced concert cancellation) to see them live, and they did not disappoint!

I guess this would be part concert review and part describing the specific joy of K-pop concerts. First, you would have to know that everyone dresses up in all styles for these shows; some people will have more typical concert outfits with some hints of the group’s latest concepts (what I personally went for), some people will come with full on costumes pulled from an iconic music video or performance, and some people will even have funny outfits that show who’s the boldest in their fan culture. For example, people dressed in full carrot suits at Seventeen’s concert; their fanbase is referred to as carats. 

On our agenda after waking up was going to a cup sleeve event hosted to celebrate concert day! This is one of my favorite in-person K-pop fan events outside of concerts. Sadly, we didn’t get to go to Stray Kids, but I went to one for Seventeen to celebrate my birthday a month ago! Walking into a boba shop hosting a K-pop cup sleeve event means getting a menu filled with custom drinks, decorations matching the group, their music playing around the store, and booths for fan artists to promote and sell! One of the biggest parts of K-pop events is freebies — they’re often made by fans simply to give out to other fans to celebrate their shared interest.

Speaking of freebies, that was my number one priority on arrival at the venue. I am an expert at hunting down fans with bags with other fans surrounding them. I would definitely recommend arriving before the doors open since once you’re inside, between heading to get merch, and food, finding your seat, and taking pictures, it’s almost impossible to find people still handing them out.

971BA3EE 951A 4DB6 B218 6B7871FBF1CB rotated

Examples of freebies from the Stray Kids concert! Original photo by Raissa Cady.

Once we got inside, running to the merch was the top priority! I was lucky to have my friend and my sister with me, and we split up once inside to grab water bottles as I went for merchandise. Unfortunately, no matter what musician you’re going to see, the merchandise remains expensive. If you know me in person though, you know I practically live in my ATEEZ merch hoodie, so I knew I had to grab the one for my favorite group!

I cannot stress these two tips enough: grab food beforehand and get a water bottle. The food inside the venue is as overpriced as the merchandise, so we made a quick pit stop at McDonald’s before arriving to fuel up. I also underestimated the importance of water; if you’re screaming the lyrics at the top of your lungs and jumping around like I am, having it nearby is so important to stay in good condition to enjoy the show!

Once inside, we took our pictures. Another interesting K-pop concert-only item is the official group lightstick. These lightsticks are similar to wristbands that sync to the music (if you were at Taylor Swift’s 1989 tour, that’s what I’m thinking of), and while they’re sold at the merchandise stand, they’re usually sold out by the time doors open. I recommend getting them online so they arrive before the show, and making sure you get your batteries ready! They’re a tad pricey, so no one will judge you for sharing one or not having one. Some groups will have an app to sync the lights’ colors and some won’t (Stray Kids didn’t this time), but nonetheless, it’s fun to be part of the group if you can!

C4213415 1DAA 40FD 85A4 6D78319F43FC rotated

The view from my seat! Original photo by Raissa Cady.D5C5A420 43A6 47DD 90B9 67F1569B3820

The actual show itself is a tad different from what you might be used to from Western artists. K-pop groups rarely have an opening act, and if they do, they usually only perform 2-4 songs. They’re also very punctual compared to some shows I’ve been to that felt delayed for the main artist to come out; Stray Kids started exactly at 7:30 on both nights I went. Make sure you go to the bathroom before the show starts!

Finally, there might be some fan traditions you will hear from the crowd that are pretty unique (I will not comment on the barking). K-pop songs that are promoted as the title track or single have fan chants you can learn. At shows in the U.S., I haven’t heard any crowd collectively be able to pull it off, but there are some iconic parts regardless (think Felix’s rap in Muddy Water or ATEEZ’s chant at the end of Guerrilla). For me, it’s always fun and feels like you’re solidifying the bond with the people around you as fans of the group.

K-pop shows are always amazing nights for me. Even after my feet hurt and losing my voice, I have freebies, kind fan interactions, and lasting memories to take home.

Just remember to take your lightstick batteries out at the end of the night (they’ll ruin it otherwise)!

Raissa Cady is a writer and assistant editor for the Her Campus at Texas chapter based at UT Austin. In their second semester with the magazine, they love to write about media she's interested in, including television, film, music & pop culture events. She will also write about topics she is passionate about such as mental health & queer culture, and contribute the occasional personal essay. Beyond Her Campus, Raissa is a 3rd year psychology major with a creative writing certificate. They are the service director for Always Texas, a UT inclusive spirit group, a peer mentor for incoming freshmen, and a research assistant for Project SEED, which works with Mexican children who translate. She will be graduating in the spring and plans to go to graduate school for mental health counseling. In their free time, Raissa loves to spend time with their 3 dogs, go to aerial sling classes, and write fiction, especially her work in progress novels. She's an avid concert goer and weekend movie marathoner.