ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best Beach In Texas According To A South Texan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

Summer is approaching, and my beach plans are good to go! Are yours?

As a native South Texan born and raised in Corpus Christi, I’m here to let you in on a bit of a surprise (hint: the best beach in the Coastal Bend). Tourists who flock to Corpus in the summer are sure to check out the nearest beach, North Beach, but they’re missing out! North Beach has its charms, sure, it’s downtown and near other attractions. However, this beach is mediocre at best. For those of you not looking to settle, make the drive to Rockport, Texas!

Rockport is a short drive from Corpus and has *the* beach of your dreams, without having to spend the gas money for South Padre Island. Rockport, Texas is a charming coastal city (historic downtown district included) with “Texas’ First Blue Wave Beach.”

It’s family-friendly too! I’ve spent many summer days camping out on the beach with family and friends; the water is my second home. And the sand isn’t itchy! With its pavilions to keep you cool and beautiful migratory birds to set your eyes upon, this beach is a wonderful way to spend a warm summer day, whether you’re sunbathing, playing volleyball, or taking a dip in the water.

Remember to pack your snacks (I highly recommend fresh fruits like watermelon), SPF, and clean up after yourself before leaving! We can have fun while keeping our beaches clean!

Cheers to Summer 2023! We’re almost there!

Justice Morris (she/her) is a second-year history and Mexican American Latino Studies double major at the University of Texas at Austin. She is also pursuing a Core Texts and Ideas certificate. Justice is a passionate writer; she enjoys sharing her thoughts on the arts, life as a college student, and her cultural experiences as a Chicana woman. You can find more of her work in The Liberator, the official publication of the College of Liberal Arts.