This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Every year I wait for that one holiday when I can truly express myself and let go of everything, especially myself. No, it’s not Halloween or Valentine’s Day. It’s Thanksgiving. So I welcome my sweatpants and t-shirt, older than me, and feast. 

I love cooking, so Thanksgiving falls right up my alley, but it’s that one holiday that people take for granted and skip over when it comes to decoration. The instant the clock changes from October 31st to November 1st, the Christmas decorations come up, but what about Thanksgiving ones? Only a few people put up decorations for Thanksgiving. Yes, they eat and maybe watch a football game, but no one spends time decorating the house with fall-themed stuff. It’s sad because I love Thanksgiving decorations: the mix of fall colors and random turkeys. 

Yet instead, most chain stores go from selling plastic skeletons to candy canes within a couple of days, just tossing Thanksgiving to the side. As a result, poor Thanksgiving doesn’t get the hype it deserves. I mean, its history is horrible, so in some ways, I get it, but the food is incredible. As a foodie, I can appreciate an array of different foods to choose to add to my plate. 

I hope some big company reads this article, sees my point, and sells more decorations for Thanksgiving instead of tossing them to the side for Christmas. I mean, Christmas is cool, but so is Thanksgiving. So if any readers get something from this article, it is to appreciate the holiday, not for its horrible history but for the amazing, usually home-cooked filled with love food that others make.

Hi, y'all!!! I am Paola Hernandez I am a Junior at UT - Austin studying Public Relations.