Life > Experiences

talking into the void about my feelings on graduation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

I think a lot. I asked one of my friends the other day who is so quiet whether he thinks when he isn’t talking or if there are just no thoughts in his head. He answered that there are usually no thoughts and I couldn’t imagine sitting in my room and not needing to stimulate my brain so I’m not alone in my thoughts. However, when I’m driving, in the shower, or simply bored I think the most about what I have in front of me. What classes I’m taking in future semesters, what appointments I have in the near future, if I have enough clothes for tomorrow, etc. are just a few examples. 

Recently, I’ve been constantly thinking about what my 2022 holds going forward. In the past two semesters, I decided to leave the integrated masters program I was in for the majority of my college career and decided to go to New York for my final semester, which is this coming fall. My time at UT went down by a year and my time in Austin went down by another semester with the combination of these decisions. When I noticed this and realized that I will need to leave the majority of my organizations this semester (except for Her Campus hopefully), I realized that my college career is over and that COVID-19 stole the majority of it. I joined almost all my organizations in Fall 2020 virtually and the majority of my organizations just got back to in-person events. I probably wouldn’t be able to recognize the people, who I would argue changed the direction of my college career, on the street. 

My question always is whether the pandemic changed the trajectory my life was on or not. Would I have realized how much I actually love writing and journalism? Would I have realized how much I did not want to go into public accounting? I don’t know, but I know that I might be on the right path right now. But then again, I don’t know.

Hi everyone! I am a senior graduating from The University of Texas at Austin in December 2022 with a major in accounting and a minor in journalism. I love writing about wellness and will do some music or game reviews from time to time. I hope you enjoy reading my articles!