Surviving Spring Break at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Not going anywhere for Spring Break?

Don’t worry, you’re not alone.

While it seems like everyone is running off to Gulf Shores or Panama City Beach, plenty of people are heading back to their hometowns to take it easy and have a low-key break. While it might not seem as glamorous as hitting the road with your friends and having a wild time, you can definitely still enjoy yourself. Here’s a few ways to have just as much fun for a lot less money!

1) Hang out with your friends from home

While it’d be fun to vacation with your college friends, going back home is the perfect opportunity to reunite with your best friends from high school! You rarely get to see them, especially if they don’t go to UT, so take advantage of the opportunity to show them that even though you’re having the time of your life in college, you still care about them and how they’re doing.

2) Be a tourist in your own town

Embrace the chance to rediscover your hometown! Chances are there’s something that visitors are typically known to do in your city, so grab a few of your friends or your siblings and act like you’re experiencing everything for the first time. Take goofy pictures, cruise around blaring Phillip Phillips new hit “Raging Fire,” and hit up all the locals’ favorite places to eat.

3) Visit with your family

Yeah, it’s not necessarily at the top of the “Fun List”, but your parents or siblings probably miss you, and spending some quality time with them would be really meaningful. Remember where you came from, and how much your parents probably helped you get where you are today. Making an effort to hang out with them will mean more than you think it will.

4) Be productive

We may be off for nine days but that doesn’t mean you should spend every one of them sleeping until 2:00pm and having Netflix marathons all day. Take advantage of not having any obligations and do something for you. If you don’t have time to typically do it during the school year, pick it up this week!

Check out some things you could do:

-Read the novel you’ve been eyeing (if you need some suggestions check out Divergent or The Fault in Our Stars)

-Paint the new canvas you saw on Pinterest

-Go for a long run in your local park

-Hit up your favorite hometown coffee shop and update your blog

-Soak up the sun, get a tan, and don’t feel guilty that you might have other things to do….you’re on Spring Break!

And if you’re super motivated….

5) Get ahead on schoolwork

Maybe this is totally off-limits for you. No school = no homework. In that case, zip up your backpack and don’t think another thought about anything school related. However, if you can manage to muster up enough courage to take a crack at some schoolwork then kudos to you! Even if you only do a few homework problems or write the opening paragraph for a paper, you’ll feel super accomplished and less stressed when you go back to school.

Regardless of where you spend your Spring Break, remember the amount of fun you have doesn’t depend on the location, it depends on what you make of it! So what if you couldn’t go skiing with your friends in Colorado or take a road trip to the beach. You’ve got a whole week off from class, who cares where you are!  Treasure the time you can spend at home or with your family, because once you graduate there’s no going back, so you might as well enjoy it.