Stick to your New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Now that 2012 is coming to an end (hopefully not what the Mayans say may be the complete end), it’s time to start thinking of what you’re going to do differently for 2013.

What will make next year better than this past one? Whether your New Year’s resolution is to stop eating fast food or start going to the gym more than just once a month, it’s always tough starting and making it last past February. We wanted to make it a little easier for you, so we dug up a few tips that should help you get and keep the ball rolling.
Have a plan
Like writing a paper, it’s easier to have an outline of what you’re going to do than just word vomiting all over your year (figuratively, of course). Plan accordingly and don’t be too hard on yourself. Once you have a plan on how you’re going to reach your goal, don’t wait. Start as soon as possible. The sooner you do something, the faster the results!

Make it a Team Effort
It’s always easier to finish or start something with the help of someone else. Making it a team effort doesn’t always necessarily mean forcing a friend to start a diet with you (unless she’s all for it). Make it a team effort by letting your family and friends know what you’re trying to accomplish. Having that support system will make it easier for you to get where you want to be. If you’re trying to cut back on those chocolate chip cookies, ask your parents and friends to keep you away from them. Maybe after seeing how dedicated you are they’ll even join you! Having someone there rooting you on will make it harder for you to break your resolution.

Reminders, Reminders, Reminders!
Write down your resolution on a piece of paper (or somewhere huge) and place it in a spotvwhere you will always see it. Having a visual reminder of what you want to accomplish will keep you motivated on actually doing it.

Take it one day at a time and don’t beat yourself up about missing a gym day or sneaking in a chocolate bar every once in a while. Bad habits are always hard to break and good ones are always hard to start. Just don’t make it a consistent thing!

We asked a few collegiettes around the Forty Acres what their New Year’s resolutions were.

[pagebreak]
Jennifer Berke, junior
“To floss every day, join ‘Big Brothers Big Sisters’, and take a road trip with my friends.”

Samanatha Ketterer, freshman
“I definitely need to stop eating snacks excessively. I have a stash next to my bed and it’s killing me! Also, I’m trying to strengthen my prayer life and be as selfless as I can.”

Fabiola Cantu, junior
“I don’t make New Year’s resolutions. I think that if there’s a change I want to make in my life or in myself, I shouldn’t wait. I should just start now.”

Alina Ho, sophomore
“To stay more focused on school and to quit being so lazy.”

Ale Cueva, sophomore
“My resolution is doing more exercise and getting fit for bikini season. That also includes eating healthy.”

Michelle Lim, senior
“To go to church more often and to save money. I also want to show my parents how thankful I am for all their support by paying them back each month (for college tuition and things like that).”

To those making New Year’s resolutions and plan on going through with them, good luck! Let’s finish up 2012 strong and start 2013 even stronger; Auld lang syne!

photo: http://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/t…

Mira Milla is a junior majoring in Journalism at the University of Texas and is currently interning at 'The Society Diaries'. 
Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.