etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Spring Break: Austin vs. The Beach

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Spring break is finally here, Longhorns; which means two things. It’s spring and it’s time for a week long break! Whether you’re staying in Austin for SXSW or going to the beaches in Florida or South Padre, there’s always one thing that we all have in mind. What in the world are you going to wear and whatever it is, you have to look good.

Are you staying in Austin for SXSW?

I wouldn’t blame you if you were staying in Austin this week. There is going to be a ton of free shows and random celebrity sightings. (Did I mention that Johnny Depp and Zach Efron are in town? YES) So make sure you are camera ready when you see a celebrity to snap a picture with or just look good jamming to that free concert you got into.

Small purse

You want to have a small purse to keep the essentials this weeks: your ID, some cash and a small bottle of sunscreen (it will get hot). You’re going to be doing a lot of walking, so having a big purse might not be the smartest decision. Some purses that are really in right now are the ones with fringes or studs.

Sunglasses

There will be a ton of sunglasses being handed out for free, but they might not block the sun as well as ones you’d buy at the store. Plus, you know which sunglasses look good with your face shape. Buy a pair of Ray Bans to block out the sun, I know Buffalo Exchange on the Drag had some for sale at a great price. Target has a few cute pairs as well!

Are you planning to be at the beach all break?

If you’re going to beaches like South Padre or Panama City Beach, there are a few things you should think about purchasing. Trust me, these aren’t going to take away from your brand new swim suit!

Fanny Pack

You’re going to be out in the sand, walking around with your best girlfriends, having a great time! There will be A LOT of people on the beach during this time, so instead of carrying a purse (that someone can easily pick pocket from) buy a fanny pack! The only access to it will be from the front so you can keep an eye on your phone and money with less worry. American Apparel has a variety of colors, but there are also some at thrift stores you can get for $5.

Hat

Any hat will do, really. A cute beach hat or a solid-color Ralph Lauren hat always looks good with any swim suit.

Whatever you’re wearing and wherever you’re going make sure to be safe this Spring Break! Have fun and take lots of pictures!

Mira Milla is a junior majoring in Journalism at the University of Texas and is currently interning at 'The Society Diaries'.