This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Bars are a no-go; Haunted houses are closed; Parties are a safety hazard. With the pandemic looming over or heads, it feels like the spirit of Halloween is gone this year. What is a twenty-something-year-old college student to do to keep the season alive? I have just the list for you to reign in major spookiness and still have a night to remember. 

Spooky Movie Marathon 

Horror movies are a cornerstone of the Halloween season, and streaming services are making this activity easier than ever before. My university roommates and I have been loving the Blumhouse productions on Hulu and the new scary movie only streaming service Shudder.

If horror and the supernatural aren’t your thing, hit up Disney+ for some fall classics like the Halloweentown or Twitches series! The best part about this plan is that your watch party can take place with friends from all over the world over Zoom or another video chat service.

Tik Tok Costume Night 

This one can be done alone, with pets, or roommates! Grab your beverages of choice, snacks, and your best costume. Document your totally creative outfits by following popular Tik Tok and Instagram reel trends, or creating some of your own! 

The possibilities are endless, and it’s always hilarious to see friends take on new social media challenges, even if they stay in the drafts. The Tik Tok ghost photoshoot is my current personal favorite (especially on pups!), followed by Halloween makeup and costume transformations!

Throwback Game and Baking Night 

There is nothing better than gathering around a table with your favorite people and getting bad attitudes about losing in a board game. Unless, of course, this particular table has some awesome spooky treats to inhale. Games like Clue and Mysterium are certain to keep spooky vibes at the forefront of your Halloween night this year. 

Pinterest is filled with everyone’s wildest baking dreams right now, but if you’re anything like me, easier is safer and better. Here is a board of my favorite recipes that I’ve tried or plan to in the next month: https://pin.it/1k7bSJX Or, you could just get those round sugar cookies printed with little ghosts or witch hats from Walmart (probably what I would actually do).

Whatever you choose to do this Halloween, live it up the safe way with your boos (pun intended)!

Senior at the University of Texas at Austin double majoring in Business Marketing and Plan II Honors (Interdisciplinary studies). Currently interning on the operations and marketing side of interior design and aspiring to make a career out of fashion and writing. Passionate about learning, creativity, and words.
Hi, I'm Madeline Muschalik! This is my fourth year in Her Campus; I wrote for Her Campus at Wake Forest University before transferring to UT in fall 2019. Last year I was the Her Campus Texas Co-President and Campus Correspondent & it was so rewarding. I am excited to explore Austin and learn more about our university through Texas Her Campus. Some of my hobbies include running, reading, yoga, and traveling! I am a Public Relations Major and with a minor in Entrepreneurship and certificate in Creative Writing. Outside of Her Campus I am involved in Texas American Marketing Association, Moody Communication Council, a member of the Kendra Scott WEL Institute Student Council, Texas Kappa Delta, and I am a Transfer Year Interest Group (TRIG) mentor. I love UT & all the amazing opportunities (like Her Campus) that it has to offer!