Spilling My “Guts” At Olivia Rodrigo’s Guts World Tour

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

The moment the music began, the room plunged into darkness, screams of a sold out crowd engulfed the room. Me and my friends’ nerves were on edge for Olivia Rodrigo’s arrival. The night kicked off with a thrilling energy that promised an unforgettable experience.

After months of waiting to see Olivia Rodrigo for her sophomore album ‘Guts’, I could definitely say it was worth the wait. Her album is brimming with early 2000’s punk energy and chilling music with lyrics about love, angst, and internal turmoil, capturing the essence of my 20’s perfectly. 

Strolling up to Austin’s Moody Center, my friends and I were elated to see hundreds of fans waiting to see her as they lined the merch trucks. The outfits of everyone there were a sea of pitch black and delicate purples, perfectly complementing the vibe of the ‘Guts‘ album. 

After buying our merch, we hurried to our seats and gladly waited to see the opening act, Chappell Roan, perform on stage. Her performance started with a wild and exciting act that got me and my friends dancing along with her music. Before her act, I had never heard of Chappell Roan. However, after her performance, her music isn’t something I’m going to forget anytime soon. Chappell Roan had an 80s flair with a punk rock attitude similar to Olivia’s, getting everyone dancing to her songs. The crowd was riled and as soon as the lights dimmed, we knew Olivia would be next. 

I was filled with adrenaline and the excitement of everyone’s screams made it more so. My friends were just as excited, their faces lit up with anticipation. As soon as Olivia took the stage, the crowd erupted into cheers as she kicked off with “Bad Idea, Right?” Everyone around us belted out the lyrics to the iconic song as we danced and jumped around. She started the night with wild energy that the crowd eagerly kept up with. Following the song with “Ballad of a Homeschooled Girl,” which has a more relatable vibe for someone suffering from public embarrassment. If you’ve ever said anything embarrassing in your life, this song is for you. The song gives off a cheeky vibe about the anxiety of fitting in while at the same time being catchy.

After a series of songs from her Sour album, the night took a turn as she returned to the Guts album. Starting with “Teenage Dream” and “Pretty isn’t Pretty,” emotions were brought to the surface. My tears blurred my vision as I kept screaming the heart wrenching lyrics from the depths of my soul. It didn’t help that she eventually played “The Grudge”, which brought even more tears to my eyes. 

Every lyric from every song was left sung and emotions were running wild towards the end of the night. The most memorable thing that night, however, was when Olivia was floating around on the crescent moon singing “Logical” over the buzzed crowd. She seemed so ethereal floating there as she sang the agonizing lyrics of love being anything but logical. 

The night ended with her most upbeat song on the Guts album “Get Him Back,” as everyone had enough energy for one more song. Everyone danced and hollered but honestly, it was the most perfect way to end the night. 

Without a doubt, I left the concert spell-bounded; the lyrics injected into my veins. However, the most cherished part of the night was being surrounded by my friends. This concert meant so much more since I shared it with people who understand me as a young woman in college. To me, this concert was the personification of girlhood: The angst, the excitement, the challenges and anxieties of growing up always staying there, and my friends truly understood all that and shared in those emotions as we screamed our hearts out. The Guts Tour felt like a second coming of age, especially as someone in her early 20’s, I feel like a lot of people can relate. After spilling my “guts” with my friends, it’s safe to say that Olivia Rodrigo is going to continue to make new and relatable music that resonates with the audience worldwide.

Journalism mayor @ UT Austin IG: @natalia_liliana_torres