Special Report: Health Risks with NuvaRing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

If I had to take a poll (which I didn’t, but trust me on this) I would have to say that roughly 80 to 90% of my female friends are on birth control. Whether it’s for preventing pregnancy or acne or painful periods, most collegiettes are either on it or have been on it. I, myself, dealt with the Pill for a while before I gained ten pounds. It was terrible.

But there are worse side effects to taking birth control. For instance, for the past few years, families across the country have started litigation against NuvaRing, a birth control device that you insert into your vagina and change out every four weeks. According to an article in Vanity Fair (see below), what most women do not realize about NuvaRing is the frightening side effect of blood clots which have caused pulmonary issues and even death in some users.

The important thing to remember is that every medication—over-the-counter, prescribed, or otherwise—comes with risks. As adult women it is our responsibility to know exactly what we are putting into our bodies. Before blindly accepting a prescription, be an informed patient: ask your doctor what risks are involved in such a medication and do your research. It might seem like a pain with all of the other responsibilities that consume our daily lives, but such a small step could ensure that you have a life to continue living.

Take the below article with a grain of salt, and do your own research. Know that there are two sides to every story, but it isn’t a bad idea to be a little cynical when it comes to medications and quick and easy fixes to our bodies’ natural rhythms.

Read Vanity Fair’s “Why Is Potentiall Leath Contraceptive NuvaRing Still on the Market?” here.