Meet Gen Z’s Newest, Pocket-Sized Obsession: Sonny Angels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Gen Z has always been known for having its finger on the pulse of all the latest trends, and its newest obsession is no exception. What is it, you ask? None other than collecting Sonny Angels. But wait, what exactly is a Sonny Angel? And why is everyone so intrigued by it?

If the name doesn’t ring any bells, Sonny Angels are pocket-sized figurines designed to be healing companions who bring happiness to their owners. These tiny, three-inch dolls originated in Japan and have since gained a global following over the past few years.

According to the official website, more than 650 kinds of Sonny Angels figures exist, each a variation of a naked angel boy who likes to wear fun headgear. What makes these dolls so appealing is their blind box packaging: meaning you won’t know which one you got until you open it!

Despite its 2005 release, Sonny Angels gained renewed interest (or, at least, when I noticed it happen) after Yoon Keeho, leader of 4th Gen K-Pop group P1Harmony, showed off his Sonny Angel purchase during an October 2021 live stream, which led to a surge of fans buying their own as a reminder of him.

Model Bella Hadid shares a photo of Sonny Angel display in an Instagram photo dump.

These same fans then took to TikTok to share their Sonny Angel unboxings and displays that eventually caught the attention of other K-Pop fans and non-K-Pop fans alike (check the Sonny Angel hashtag on TikTok, and you’ll see the doll has now amassed over 100 million views!). And with added exposure from Bella Hadid, who shared a photo of the dolls on her Instagram in December of 2022, collecting these tiny figurines was an inevitable trend. One that I’m totally here for!

Looking for a Sonny Angel you can call your own? Shop now on the official Sonny Angel website or download the Sonny Angel app to find an authorized retailer near you.

Ashley Coleman is an undergraduate student studying journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She is most passionate about media representation and all things related to pop culture. When she’s not writing, you can find her learning a new dance, fangirling over Zendaya, or making a quick trip to the nearest boba shop.