So Why UT?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

So, Why UT?

Jordan Steyer

If you’re still looking at different universities, or if you’re thinking about transferring from somewhere else, keep UT Austin at the top of your list.

I’m biased when it comes to talking about my university (plus it’s not A&M). I’m in love with a place. I’m in love with a city. And I’m in love with the program I’m in.

Austin is an incredible city. It’s filled with different personalities depending on where you go. There are unique restaurants, quaint neighborhoods, and eccentric shops. There’s something for everyone, and there’s something for every occasion.

Living on your own is something everyone should experience, even if it’s just for a little. Dorm life is unique, sorority houses are beautiful, and apartment shopping is fun.   

There are top ranked academic programs here. The university is one of the top 20 public universities in the United States. They offer more than 15 undergraduate and more than 40 graduate programs ranked in the top 10.

UT is one of the biggest universities in Texas, but with 50,000 people, there’s a place for you. Upper-division classes give you a small university feel, dorms give you a place to meet people from different majors and different backgrounds, and with over 1,300 clubs and organizations, there’s someone with the same interests as you out there.

Traditions are strong here. Bevo is iconic, the tower is a staple, and the hook em’ hand symbol is universally recognized.

We can’t forget that breakfast tacos are accessible from almost anywhere on campus (and they’re so good too).

You’ll end up a longhorn for life. The alumni network is strong. Plus, Matthew McConaughey is here too.

I mean, what starts here changes the world after all.

Jordan is a first-year journalism major at The University of Texas at Austin. When she's not writing articles or covering events, she enjoys trying new coffee shops or scrapbooking.