This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

So where are you from? No.. like… where are you really from?

It’s always a surprise to encounter these questions, while in elementary or middle school it might have been something that I could brush off and laugh away, coming into university and in the real world, it gets harder and harder to let these comments slide by, especially knowing they’re coming from someone actively pursuing a secondary education; still holding on to the same – and often Eurocentric – ignorance. While this is one of the more tamer comments I’ve encountered in my life, it’s a good example of something that people of color, among other minorities, face every day: microaggressions. 

So What Are Microaggressions?

Microaggressions are defined as subtle – direct or indirect – forms of discrimination against a minority, often spotlighting differences between cultures, backgrounds, upbringings, sexual orientation, and appearance. While they might come from people who mean well and are good-natured, or even seem like harmless quips in good faith, they still have a destabilizing effect on the person receiving them – further isolating and socially oppressing a cultural minority. Again, usually, people who make these comments don’t say them with malicious intent but rather they come from a place of ignorance, however, it can have especially negative consequences on identity formation and a sense of belonging from someone who identifies with a minority. 

Effects of Microaggressions 

Beyond the obvious effects of isolation and oppression these comments tend to foster, microaggressions often dupe the receiver into believing they aren’t ‘good enough’ to occupy the same space as their – often European – counterparts, and increase feelings of self-doubt.

As a South Asian, growing up I heard a lot of “your English is so good”, “you look so exotic”, and the ever-hilarious head bobbles that so many people associated with the Indian identity they saw on TV. While at the time I didn’t realize it was a microaggression, I knew the way it made me feel – small and alien. I felt as though I wasn’t truly accepted where I was like I had to work twice as hard to prove that just because I came from somewhere else didn’t warrant the assumption that I was any less capable. Because that’s exactly what it was. 

Having to hear backhanded compliments such as “your English is so good for not being from here” or “you’ll be fine aren’t all Asians supposed to be super smart anyways?” feels like a slap in the face towards any identity one tries to carve out for themselves because before anything we could show, we are already handed a label – one of being different, of being alien. Of never being able to truly fit in because when people put their arms out and say  “you’re so much darker than me!” or when the ‘collective South Asian experience’ includes being scared to open lunchboxes in school because of being told “your food smells bad”, all it did was reinforce that doubt and isolation that there was a different one could never overcome between those who made those comments and those who received them. 

Stereotype Threat and Imposter Syndrome 

Stereotype threat and imposter syndrome are two of the most common effects of microaggressions, as people attempt to distance themselves as much as possible from their cultural background for the fear of being stuck with an identity based on such stereotypes fueled by ignorance, spurs them even more towards homogeneity. Stereotype threat is, as explained above, a heightened awareness of acting or presenting a certain way in fear of confirming a negative stereotype of a minority. It can lead to feelings of anxiety and cognitive dissonance which bleeds into other facets of a person’s life such as academics or job performance. 

Imposter syndrome is the more familiar of the two, and as detailed before, is the feeling of inferiority in situations – as if their accomplishments are somehow fraudulent in the face of their counterparts. Feeling displaced in terms of background and experiences leads to a fractured sense of self, not quite sure which box you’re meant to fit in or even if you can fit into a box is a terrifying concept to confront – especially as a child when forming a coherent identity is a top priority. 

Takeaways

Microaggressions are often downplayed as well. To blame taking offense at these to be a generation born too sensitive inhibits our development as a society. In the age of rapid integration by technological advancements, outdated ignorance and ideas such as those which inspire microaggressions are out of place and unnecessary. The increased intolerance of people to accept microaggressions and the drive to educate those who continue to employ them does give me hope that we can look at each other with empathy and acceptance. 

I'm a current Economics student at the University of Texas at Austin. When I'm not writing about everything under the sun, I am either talking about, or showing people pictures of the love of my life – my dog Milli – or reading anything I can get my hands on.