This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Sometimes going out to purchase new clothes can be exhausting! I’ve started feeling this way ever since the pandemic, planning on a non-busy day to go out, having to get ready, and knowing that I’ll have to dodge the crowds. Well, I’m going to tell you how to avoid this inconvenience! You’ve heard of personal stylists, right? I work for a company called Stitch Fix that does just that! I’m one of their stylists who works with so many people who feel the same way about going out to shop for new clothes. Some people even use this service to get expert advice or to get discounts on clothing items.

Stitch Fix has even changed the way that you receive your Fix if you recently signed up! Now, instead of being sent five items chosen by your stylist, you’ll first be sent ten options on your account for you to choose between 0-5 items. If you pick less than five items, you can leave a note saying what you want instead of the other choices. This is great because now you’ll have more control of the items you’re receiving before its sent to you! If you end up not liking an item once you try it on, you just have to put it back in the package and use the provided label to ship it off. Simple as that!

Now that you know how Stitch Fix works, I’m going to let you in on the best way to get the most out of your Fix! 

YOUR PROFILE: To start, you’ll want to spend a little extra time on your profile, making sure you fill out the note on your profile, all of your preferences are correct, as well as making sure your sizing is correct. This will be the first thing your stylist will see so that they can personalize each Fix just for you. Depending on what you want to receive overall, you should write your style and needs in your profile so that they’re always there. You can mention anything, such as being a college student that dresses for comfort, a mom that needs clothes that is easy to style and won’t stain, or even that you’re a lawyer that needs to be camera ready!

PROVIDE EXAMPLES: Before you request your Fix to be styled by a professional, you should provide examples of items that match your own style. This part is fun, but also essential for your stylist to get to know your personal style better! On your Stitch Fix account, you can take style quizzes where you either like or dislike specific items. This takes little to no time, and the styles to choose from update with the seasons! There is also a section on your profile where you can curate your Fix Inspiration board that has outfits that they carry. This is important because your stylist can see what kind of outfits you want to put together. Lastly, you’re able to link your Pinterest board so that your stylus can get an even more comprehensive range of your style. This is really nice to have when you don’t know exactly what kind of clothes you want, but you’ve seen certain styles you want to try out. Your personal stylist will likely not be able to find the exact items, but they will be able to look for something very similar to match your vibe! 

LEAVE A REQUEST: After filling out your profile and providing an example of styles you want to try out, leaving a request will provide your stylist with any specific styles you want to see in your upcoming Fix. Although we already know what the weather is like where you’re living, you might be taking a trip somewhere or having a special event that requires clothes you don’t typically request. In my opinion, this is the best way to make sure that your stylist knows what you want in a Fix! You can ask for something such as a black mini dress, a distressed pair of high-waisted jeans, or a complete church-appropriate outfit.

REVIEW YOUR FIX: Once your ten items chosen by your stylist are sent for you to review, you’ll want to take the chance to get a say on what items are sent to you! If you like the things, you can choose them, and they’ll be sent to you. If you don’t like five items, let them know in the feedback your thoughts on what you want instead, and they will do their best to find something more your style! 

FEEDBACK: Just like any relationship, you’re more likely to have a happy ending when there is communication both ways! Whenever you receive your five items, your stylist will let you know things like how to style your items, why they chose it just for you, and any questions they have to get to know your style better. Answering their questions and letting them know how they did is a great way to improve your experience in the future! You’ll even get the chance to let your stylist know the feedback on specific items concerning the size, price, style, fit, and quality. 

I hope you’re able to enjoy this excellent service as much as I do! Now get some professional styling done and strut your stuff! 

-Your favorite Stitch Fix Stylist, Maci

Maci Wolfe

Texas '22

Hello! My name is Maci Wolfe, I'm a 22-year-old Latina attending the University of Texas at Austin as a Studio Art major. I practice many different styles of art but mainly studio and digital! I love playing with my dog, gaming, baking, and watching movies!
Hi, I'm Madeline Muschalik! This is my fourth year in Her Campus; I wrote for Her Campus at Wake Forest University before transferring to UT in fall 2019. Last year I was the Her Campus Texas Co-President and Campus Correspondent & it was so rewarding. I am excited to explore Austin and learn more about our university through Texas Her Campus. Some of my hobbies include running, reading, yoga, and traveling! I am a Public Relations Major and with a minor in Entrepreneurship and certificate in Creative Writing. Outside of Her Campus I am involved in Texas American Marketing Association, Moody Communication Council, a member of the Kendra Scott WEL Institute Student Council, Texas Kappa Delta, and I am a Transfer Year Interest Group (TRIG) mentor. I love UT & all the amazing opportunities (like Her Campus) that it has to offer!