Rural Towns Get Transformed by Drag Queens in “We’re Here”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Imagine walking out of a coffee shop in a quaint, small town and seeing a nearly 7 feet tall drag queen cracking a whip around in the middle of the street. Well, that’s exactly what happens on “We’re Here,” a series available on HBO Max.

The series stars Bob the Drag Queen, Shangela Laquifa Wadley, and Eureka O’Hara, who are all well-known for their reigns on the infamous “Rupaul’s Drag Race.” The three queens travel to cities that lay on the outskirts of civilization, known for being quiet and stuck in their ways to host a drag show that encourages more support for LGBTQ+ individuals who reside there .

Making their way down main street in rhinestone-encrusted and feathered ensembles, their presence goes in no way unnoticed. This is where the culture-shock comes in.

Homophobic comments are thrown by locals, the cops are called to remove them for simply standing outside in full-on drag, and the judgement of these communities can be felt through the laptop screen. Change doesn’t sit right in the minds of these people.

It is both fascinating and heart-wrenching to realize that this series was filmed in early 2020. In a day and age where acceptance is preached and individuality is celebrated, yet dark parts of America continue to reject this change. It is no secret that there are still places where the LGBTQ+ community are not welcomed, this show just so happens to expose them and air out their dirty laundry.

The drag shows are an effort to create a safe space where individuals who were previously ostracized get the chance to realize that they are not alone. Allies exists that will support and protect them, no matter what others in the community say.

The three queens choose individuals- whether they be straight, gay or non-conforming- to become their “drag daughters” to perform and learn choreography for the shows. Corsets, 9-inch-heels, and styled wigs are just the basics when it comes to being a drag queen. It is becoming the beacon of hope for others in the community who are afraid to be themselves that is perhaps the most rewarding.

The creation of these safe spaces where people can be themselves without fear of judgement or harassment means the world to those who have constantly faced scrutiny. Whether it takes three drag queens to kickstart change or not, it is obvious there is still work to be done.

The LGBTQ+ community deserves to feel safe and accepted- no matter where they choose to call home.

Ameera Ozzie is currently a senior attending the University of Texas at Austin. She is a Public Relations major who enjoys learning about all things social media-related and keeping up with entertainment news. With dreams and aspirations of working with high-fashion companies on their Public Relations teams, Ameera hopes to make an impact on the world no matter what she is doing.