Romanticize Moving Out and Living Stress-Free

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Moving out of your college dorm or apartment is just as hard and stressful as moving in. So, keep reading for some tips and tricks that I have learned in the last 2 years. It’s the last few weeks before school ends, your finals are coming up, and you’re in need of a 5 hour nap and some good food. But apart from many finals coming up, you also need to move out. I know that as college students, many of us procrastinate to the last straw. But to avoid your own stress there are a couple of steps we can take to make the whole moving out process quicker.

• Seasonal clothes

Let’s be honest here, we all overpacked clothes that we aren’t gonna wear. But, there’s an easy fix. A quick tip that I always do is take my heavy winter clothes back to my hometown or house when I’m visiting for spring break. This depends on where your college is and when you experience cold weather. Take clothes back that don’t fit into the month’s weather to avoid extra clothing at the end of the year.

• Home Depot

One thing and one tip only. Don’t be fancy and get boxes from OfficeDepot or FedEx. Home Depot has the cheapest cardboard boxes you can buy to move. A plus is the hard moving boxes that you can invest in for future years if you are an underclassman!

• Start early

Weekend trips back home are always helpful in the moving-out process. When you only have a few weeks left, it’s helpful to start taking small loads of miscellaneous things or clothes that you won’t need or don’t use regularly.

• Don’t stress!

Finals season is the most stressful part for a college student. Take your time with moving out and even use it as a way to destress about everything that’s going on around your life. Breathe and enjoy the process of reflecting on your whole year!

Moving out can be a good experience if you make it one! Romanticize your process and reflect on finishing your year in college whether you’re a senior or a freshman. And don’t forget to not stress!!

Hi! I'm Melody a current Communication and Leadership major at the University of Texas at Austin. I am a first-generation college student that comes from a small town in Mexico called Ibarra, Michoacan. Some of my current interests are cooking, coffee, dancing, social media, fashion and currently anything that relates to Taylor's Version.