This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Music has the ability to put emotions into words, and stumbling across these types of songs when you need them most is comforting. The types of songs that stop you in your tracks and make you think, “Wait, why did this artist just write this song about me?” Music can be an escape for some people, and knowing that your emotions are understood by somebody else on this earth makes you feel seen. There is nobody who does this better than the one and only, Taylor Swift.

Trust me, she gets it. While some people do not enjoy her music because they think it isn’t catchy enough, too sad, or all about relationships, the one thing they can not discredit her for is her outstanding lyricism. This may be a biased statement, but I am confident that she is the best lyricist of our time. She has a talent for putting every single situation and emotion into the perfect words, and this is one of the many things I adore about her. For this reason, I will be finding some of her best lyrics and tying them into a relatable situation. Once you get through with this article, I hope you are a swiftie too.

When You’re in love

“Please don’t ever become a stranger whose laugh I could recognize anywhere.” (New year’s Day)

“I don’t wanna look at anything else now that I saw you, and I don’t wanna think of anything else now that I thought of you.” (Daylight)

“People throw rocks at things that shine, but they can’t take what’s ours. The stakes are high, the waters are rough, but this love is ours.” (Ours)

“I like shiny things, but I’d marry you with paper rings.” (Paper Rings)

“I’ve loved you three summers now honey, but I want ‘em all.” (Lover)

“I want to wear his initial on a chain round my neck, not because he owns me, but ‘cause he really knows me.” (Call It What You Want)

“I can’t let you go, your hand print’s on my soul.” (End Game)

“All these people think love’s for show, but I would die for you in secret.” (Peace)

When you’re in a toxic relationship

“I know heaven’s a thing, I go there when you touch me, honey hell is when I fight with you.” (False God)

“This is the last time I’m asking you why you break my heart in the blink of eye.” (The Last Time)

“So in love that you act insane, and that’s the way I loved you.” (The Way I Loved You)

“I know my love should be celebrated, but you tolerate it.” (Tolerate It)

“Second, third, and hundredth chances, balancing on breaking branches.” (Exile)

“For you I would ruin myself a million little times.” (Illicit Affairs)

When you’re mourning/grieving

“You were bigger than the whole sky, you were more than just a short time.” (Bigger Than the Whole Sky)

“I should’ve asked you questions, I should’ve asked you how to be. Ask you to write it down for me, should’ve kept every grocery store receipt, ‘cause every scrap of you would be taken from me.” (Marjorie)

“I hate to make this all about me, but who am I supposed to talk to? What am I supposed to do, if there’s no you?” (Soon You’ll Get Better)

“I know delusion when I see it in the mirror… I just pretend it isn’t real.” (Soon You’ll Get Better)

“I can go anywhere I want, anywhere I want just not home.” (My Tears Ricochet) 

When you’re going through a breakup

“I made you my temple, my mural, my sky, now I’m begging for footnotes in the story of your life.” (Tolerate It)

“I’ll go sit on the floor wearing your clothes. All that I know is I don’t know how to be something you miss.” (Last Kiss)

“If the story’s over why am I still writing pages?” (Death By A Thousand Cuts)

“In dreams I’ll meet you in warm conversation, and we both wake in lonely beds and different cities.” (Sad Beautiful Tragic)

“Did the twin flame bruise paint you blue? Just between us did the love affair mame you too?” (All Too Well 10 minute version)

“It’s hard to be anywhere these days when all I want is you. You’re a flashback in a film reel on the one screen in my town.” (This Is Me Trying)

When you’re feeling revengeful

“If a man talks **** then I owe him nothing. I don’t regret it one bit because he had it coming.” (I Did Something Bad)

“It isn’t love, it isn’t hate, it’s just indifference.” (I Forgot That You Existed)

“I’m shining like fireworks over your sad empty town.” (Dear John)

“I promise that you’ll never find another like me.” (Me)

“Gain the weight of you then lose it, believe me I could do it.” (Tolerate It)

“If I’m dead to you why are you at the wake?” (My Tears Ricochet)

“She should keep in mind there is nothing I do better than revenge.” (Better Than Revenge)

Life reminders

“I just realized everything I have is someday gonna be gone.” (Never Grow Up)

“Cause there were pages turned and bridges burned, everything you lose is a step you take. So make the friendship bracelets take the moment and taste it, you’ve got no reason to be afraid. You’re on your own kid, you can face this.” (You’re On Your Own Kid)

“It’s okay, life is a tough crowd. Thirty-two and still growing up now. Who you are is not what you did, you’re still an innocent.” (Innocent)

“Lives change like the weather, I hope you remember today is never too late to be brand new.” (Innocent)

“Don’t you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine.” (Ours)

“Never be so kind, you forget to be clever. Never be so clever, you forget to be kind.” (Marjorie)

“If you never bleed you’re never gonna grow.” (The 1)

This list could go on, but these lyrics specifically hold a very special place in my heart. All of these lyrics have impacted me, but to close off this article, I want to leave you with my favorite quote. “I want to be defined by the things that I love. Not the things I hate. Not the things that I’m afraid of. The things that haunt me in the middle of the night. I just think that you are what you love.”

Communication and Leadership major @ The University of Texas ‘25 Living, Learning, and Growing 🤍