Regina Trevino: A Chemistry Collegiette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Name: Regina Trevino

Year: Freshman

Major: Chemistry

Hometown: Mission, TX

HCTX: Why are you pursuing chemistry?

Regina: I am pursuing chemistry because I find it very interesting and applicable to a lot of things and improvements in health, technology and the environment. 

HCTX: What is Freshman Research Initiative?

Regina: Freshman Research Initiative (FRI) is a program that gives undergraduates the opportunity to do research of their own as well as work with other research lab streams. Now I am in the Nanomaterials for Chemical Catalysts Stream. 

HCTX: Describe your research project.

Regina: My first experiment was the effects of temperature in the development rate of caterpillars. We placed sets of caterpillars in three different temperatures and recorded the time it took for the caterpillars to form a chrysalis and become a butterfly. 

HCTX: Why did you choose to study that that?

Regina: I was interested in investigating [it] because of the temperature changes that are occurring throughout the world and the possible effects that this might have on the insect population. 

Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.