Molly Peach-Girls Laughing At Night
Molly Peach-Girls Laughing At Night
Molly Peach / Her Campus

Ready to Wish on a Shooting Star?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

This Sunday, November 17th, from approximately midnight until dusk marks the peak of the Leonid Meteor Shower, an event that spans the majority of the month of November. It is caused by the earth encountering the Tempel-Tuttle comet’s orbital debris. The meteors that we see from Earth are actually these particles of debris traveling at speeds up to 44 miles per second into Earth’s atmosphere and then rapidly vaporizing.

Feeling inspired to see take in the beauty of this annual phenomenon? Astronomers recommend that you distance yourself from the city, in order to minimize the light pollution obscuring your view. Consider venturing to Blanco, Enchanted Rock, or Ink Lake State Park for some of the nearest and clearest views of the night sky.

However, regardless of if you choose to stay in the city or leave to view the night sky, light pollution will be slightly more challenging to avoid during the 2019 Leonid showers, due to a gibbous moon (a partially full moon that exudes significant light). Therefore EarthSky, an Austin-based astronomy organization, recommends venturing into the country and sitting beside a structure that will partially block the moon’s light from your eyes. 

Once you have found a viewing spot from which to observe the radiant meteors, make sure to bundle up to avoid the November chill and give your eyes fifteen to twenty minutes to adjust to the darkness (this allows you to more easily spot the meteors). The visibility on Sunday night is expected to be “good”, so you should be able to see at least a couple meteors during your viewing session. Time and Date has an Interactive Meteor Shower Sky Map that might prove useful in your quest for spotting meteors, especially if your astronomy knowledge is minimal.

Make sure to stay safe and warm, and happy meteor gazing!

Megan Turner is studying Spanish and Political Communication at the University of Texas at Austin. In her free time she enjoys long-distance running, painting, and spending time with friends.