Reading Roundup: What Books I Read This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

My summer was a bit of a whirlwind. Most of my time was spent pouring over textbooks for my summer classes, and when I wasn’t doing that I almost immediately collapsed onto my bed from exhaustion. I might be exaggerating a little, but in the moment it felt as if I had no time for myself. Still, somehow, I did manage to find the space for a few perfect days, where I wasn’t too burnt out, to lay down next to my windows with a comfy blanket and open a brand new book. Nothing beats the feeling of flipping through those first few pages, knowing you’re about to fall into another world, even if it’s only for a little while and even if it’s only a super cheesy romance. These are some of the books that made me feel like that.

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows By J.K. Rowling

I know, I know. Everyone loves Harry Potter. Everyone’s seen Harry Potter (at least I hope so). But has everyone read Harry Potter? Well here’s a little bit of my background: I grew up watching the movies as they came out, and I was obsessed. I went to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, drank butterbeer (it’s delicious), and got my very own wand. Meanwhile, I was somewhat of a fraud, as I had never actually read past Chamber of Secrets. So, last summer I made it my mission to complete a full read through of the entire series. It only took a year, but I finally did it! I might eventually write an article about my thoughts on each book and how well they adapted them, but for now it’s suffice to say that Deathly Hallows is a masterpiece. I laughed, I cried (more like sobbed alone in my room for two hours), and I wondered how anyone could possibly classify this series as children’s books (seriously, it’s super dark. Do not read this book to anyone under the age of 13). If you haven’t already delved into the books, I seriously recommend to add it to your bucket list. #JusticeForDobby

1. The Summer I Turned Pretty Trilogy By Jenny Han

I mainly picked up this trilogy because I heard it was being adapted by Amazon into a TV series. I used to get annoyed when people would say “read the book before you watch the movie!” Alas, they’re right. There’s nothing quite like reading and loving a book, its characters, setting, etc., and being able to witness the production process in real time. The rush of excitement of seeing snippets and teasers online and then, finally, after months of waiting, being able to actually see what you had so vividly visualized in your head. It’s awesome. Anyway, this series was a quick, fun read! I know a lot of people hate love triangles, but this is one of the few times I feel like it worked. The story follows Belly, Isabella, over several years as she navigates evolving relationships with her two childhood best friends, Conrad and Jeremiah. If you’re looking for something light with some fun summer nostalgia, this is a series you should plan on picking up!

1. The Selection Series By Kiera Cass

This is another adaptation in the works! Netflix is turning this dystopia, Bachelor-esque book series into a movie and I cannot wait. I remember everyone and their mother reading this in middle school, but it wasn’t until about a month ago that I finally decided to delve into The Selection. Long story short, if you’re a fan of The Bachelor and The Hunger Games, this series was made for you (and me). Throughout the books we get to know America Singer as she is entered into a competition to be Prince Maxon’s bride and future Queen. I loved this series so much, because although romance plays a huge part of the plot, there’s also elements of political strategy and moments of intense danger for the main characters. It somewhat reminded me of one of my favorite series, The Folk of The Air by Holly Black. Overall, it’s no literary masterpiece by any means, but I couldn’t stop myself from reading the entire series in about 3 days, so do with that what you will.

1. Red, White, & Royal Blue By Casey McQuiston

This book is childhood enemies to lovers excellence. It’s in a close third person point of view, which is usually not my cup of tea, but McQuiston did a wonderful job with it. One huge reason I loved this book was the consistent involvement of Texas and Texas traditions throughout the plot and character building. The main character, Alex, who happens to be the First Son of the United States, is from Austin and the author made it a huge factor in the book. They even name-dropped Johnny Cash and Selena! That alone would have made me rate it 5 stars. 

1. People We Meet on Vacation By Emily Henry

I actually haven’t finished reading this one yet, but People We Meet on Vacation has been recommended to me practically non stop since June. The novel follows two polar opposite best friends, Poppy and Alex, as their past vacations together are recounted, although their current relationship is strained by something that happened two years earlier. It’s still early in my read to make any solid statements, but so far I’m loving the dialogue and banter between the characters! With the popularity and traction this novel has gained, I wouldn’t be surprised to see an adaptation in the near future.

If you want to stay up to date on my reading journey, or just want a fellow reading buddy, follow me on GoodReads where I log and review all my books!

Hello! I'm currently studying Advertising at the University of Texas at Austin. In my free time, I'm constantly baking, listening to true crime podcasts, and spending time with my family. Connect with me on IG: www.instagram.com/unorachel