Wellness

Quick, Healthy Breakfast Options for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

One of the lessons that sticks with me from elementary school is that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. In different stages of my life I have struggled with this. For example, when running cross country each morning in high school I found in challenging to eat the breakfast that I previously had because I was running so much mileage. Now that I am in college, I find it easier to pick options that are both healthy and fill me up for the day. It is imperative that every college student does this because we need food that fuel us through our classes, activities, internships, and all the aspects of the busy life of a college student. Here are some suggestions: 

Avocado Toast

Avocado’s are a healthy fat that will help to keep you full. I recommend using whole wheat or sourdough toast and putting lime and pepper on top. Also, if you only use half of the avocado a good trick I learned to keep the other half from oxidizing is to take the side with the pit still in it and put a piece of tinfoil over.

Yogurt with granola and berries

You can use any type of yogurt, but my favorite type to use is Icelandic because it is the right consistency and they have great flavors like Coconut and Vanilla. Next, choose your berries; I like to put blue berries and raspberries in mine. Lastly, sprinkle some granola on top for the protein. My favorite granola is KIND, but I also recently discovered the Bear Naked Dark Chocolate Hazelnut and it is amazing!

Egg Sandwich

I suggest this if you are really in a hurry. You can make it in a few minutes and carry it with you on the way to class. My mom taught me this trick from her college days: 
     microwave an egg for 40 seconds, 
     toast whole wheat English muffins, 
     put ketchup and cheese on top
It sounds a little gross, but if you are really pressed for time it does the trick!

Peanut Butter Jelly Toast

On one side of the toast put jelly (my favorite is raspberry) on the other put peanut butter. If your feeling adventurous you could put honey and bananas on top of the peanut butter. 

Oatmeal

You can either make it on the stove, or if you are in a hurry instant does the trick. Oatmeal is great because you can mix in honey, jam, maple syrup, berries, the options are endless!

Scrambled Eggs

A classic. These always do the trick.  

Hi, I'm Madeline Muschalik! This is my fourth year in Her Campus; I wrote for Her Campus at Wake Forest University before transferring to UT in fall 2019. Last year I was the Her Campus Texas Co-President and Campus Correspondent & it was so rewarding. I am excited to explore Austin and learn more about our university through Texas Her Campus. Some of my hobbies include running, reading, yoga, and traveling! I am a Public Relations Major and with a minor in Entrepreneurship and certificate in Creative Writing. Outside of Her Campus I am involved in Texas American Marketing Association, Moody Communication Council, a member of the Kendra Scott WEL Institute Student Council, Texas Kappa Delta, and I am a Transfer Year Interest Group (TRIG) mentor. I love UT & all the amazing opportunities (like Her Campus) that it has to offer!
Megan Turner is studying Spanish and Political Communication at the University of Texas at Austin. In her free time she enjoys long-distance running, painting, and spending time with friends.