This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Have you burned through the majority of Netflix? Or are you looking for a new challenge to tackle from your home during quarantine? Here are a few hobbies that you might consider taking up to beat the quarantine blues and make you feel accomplished.

Crocheting (or knitting*)

Crocheting is a great way to spend your extra free time during quarantine. If you have never crocheted before, do not let your lack of knowledge deter you. There are some great videos on YouTube that will teach you the basic stitches and from there, the world is your oyster! Start with some basic projects (e.g. scarves, pouches, etc.) and work your way to more difficult ones, and all the while, you can be creating birthday and holiday gifts for your loved ones! 

*Knitting, as a beginner, can be more tricky in terms of correcting mistakes. Therefore, crochet might be a better starting option (and slightly less stressful at times).

Reading

I have been hitting the books hard for the past few weeks, grabbing the books on my shelves that I never got around to reading. Being able to physically see how much of the book you have read generates a great feeling of accomplishment, AND reading presents a great opportunity to learn about new topics!

A New Form of Exercise

Learning (or improving at) a new type of exercise will likely leave you feeling both accomplished and more relaxed. I have been challenging myself to learn some dance moves so that I can emerge from this quarantine and not flounder on the dance floor. In addition, I have been working on increasing my running speed by venturing outdoors for some speed drills and long runs. Blowing off some steam makes the rest of social distancing so much more manageable.

Art

You don’t have to be a Monet or da Vinci in training to enjoy the process of making some art! Take to Pinterest or YouTube to find some interesting crafting ideas that fit with your interests and supplies, execute one of your original artistic dreams, or print out some coloring pages and go to town!

Hope these suggestions are helpful, and happy hobbying!

Megan Turner is studying Spanish and Political Communication at the University of Texas at Austin. In her free time she enjoys long-distance running, painting, and spending time with friends.