Style > Beauty

Product Review: Reusable Cotton Rounds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you are constantly searching for something to completely take off your makeup, but also something that is not too harsh on your face. I thought I found that in Micellar water, but I realized I had been using it all wrong. I typically used regular cotton rounds to remove my eye makeup, but I still found I was left with some mascara on, or some eyeliner remnants. I don’t use waterproof mascara, so I thought my makeup should have come off easily. I had decided just to live with the fact that my makeup wouldn’t completely come off until about the 2nd day of not wearing anything at all. In the midst of all of this, I have been trying to be more green with my living. I always take reusable bags to the grocery store, I use wool balls instead of dryer sheets, I use reusable ziplock bags, and I even bought a compostable phone case that comes in compostable packaging, but I knew there was so much more I could be doing for the environment. Everytime I used a cotton ball or cotton round to remove my makeup, I got a little pang when throwing it away, so I decided to look into reusable cotton rounds. Thankfully, I hit the jackpot on my first purchase.

After reading reviews and looking around, I decided to go with Bamboo Makeup Remover Pads from Amazon. The particular ones I got had 14 regular cotton rounds, and 7 charcoal infused rounds (everything seems to have charcoal now, but I still have no idea if it does anything). They also came with 2 bags to wash them in, which is nice since I’ll be washing them frequently. I’m still not really sure where the bamboo comes in, but I decided to give them a try.

Image Credit

The day I got them, I used a regular one, and a charcoal one. The charcoal one was advertised as being specifically designed to remove eye makeup, so I was especially excited about that. I put some micellar water on the charcoal pad, and got ready to be disappointed. Boy was I wrong! This makeup remover pad removed my eye makeup completely with minimal rubbing, so my eyes weren’t on fire when I was done. The material is very soft, so it is ideal for sensitive skin like around the eye area. After removing my makeup, I used the regular cotton round to put witch hazel on my face. The regular ones are more like a washcloth material, so they are good for exfoliation. As I said, I used micellar water as my makeup remover, so I’m not sure how well this will work using something else, such as coconut oil, but if you already use micellar water I would highly recommend adding this to your beauty routine.

After using them for about a week now, I can definitely see a difference in how much of my makeup is removed every night. I would highly recommend to anyone who wants to be more green, or just to someone who has a difficult time removing makeup. I am so happy I decided to get these, and I’m sure I’ll be using them permanently.

I am a third year English major hoping to become a book editor. I have been writing for HerCampus for one year, and am excited to work as a Co-Editor this year. I love reading and staying home with my cat, Luna.