The Price of Speaking Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

For just a second, try to put yourself in the shoes of Dr. Christine Blasey Ford.

Imagine being an adult woman, with a PhD, forced to relive a moment of terror and vulnerability from decades ago. Being forcibly held down as power was taken away from you. Imagine standing before a skeptical crowd and recounting the event as the man responsible for it stands to be confirmed as Supreme Court Justice. Imagine being mocked and refuted as you give your testimony, for which you have only your word as proof.

Women have come a long way in the past century and have gained access to never-before-allowed opportunities. People will point this out and will say that we now have equality among the genders. Yet, here we all are, watching as a woman is torn down and belittled for speaking up at a confirmation hearing. Women around the world as well as the country are still being shamed and intimidated into silence.

Can you truly imagine such a situation if you’ve never been in it?

“Til it happens to you, you don’t know how it feels

How it feels

Til it happens to you, you won’t know

It won’t be real” -Lady Gaga, “Til It Happens to You”

I really don’t think the way such a situation feels can be imagined by someone who’s never been in one like it. I can’t even begin to imagine what it must be like for Dr. Ford and for Anita Hill and for all these women who have come forward with their stories. But if things go on the way they are, many more women and girls will know what it’s like to be violated in such a way. By coming forward, Dr. Ford has demonstrated profound bravery, but her efforts may be in vain if more is not done to combat this.

It may not all be enough to stop Kavanaugh from being confirmed, but it should serve as a wake up call to those who have the power to do something. And, believe it or not, that will be us this November. Midterm elections may not get as much attention as presidential races, but this year’s midterm elections will have a profound impact on whether or not appropriate action is taken to combat this. Your vote matters, for Dr.Ford, for Anita Hill, and for all women in America.

Clara Grosenbacher, who also goes by Maggie, is a junior English major at the University of Texas. Her interests include fitness, film theory, music, reading, cat pictures, art, writing, and memes. 
I am a third year English major hoping to become a book editor. I have been writing for HerCampus for one year, and am excited to work as a Co-Editor this year. I love reading and staying home with my cat, Luna.