Style > Beauty

The Price of Beauty: 3 Beauty Products Destroying the Environment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Though it’s something most people don’t really focus on, a good amount of the beauty products that we are using on a daily basis could be ruining our environment– and eventually us.  

1. Facial cleansers with microbeads.

A number of facial cleansers, toothpastes, scrubs, and other cosmetic and hygiene products use small plastic microbeads as an exfoliant. Not only are these beads potentially harmful to your skin when used too roughly, but they’re also terrible for the environment – adding to the plastic pollution in the waterways. Additionally, fish and other marine life may mistake these small beads as food.

In the U.S., Illinois was the first state to ban products with microbeads in 2014, New York proposing a similar ban in 2014. In 2015, New York’s attorney general asked lawmakers to pass the Microbead – Free Waters Act, following a report that New York residents wash 19 tons of microbeads down their drains each year.

2. Wet Wipes & Makeup Removing Wipes

Baby wipes, makeup removing wipes, throwaway and flushable wipes are incredibly convenient, however, they are quite problematic for the planet. Most of these wipes are made from synthetic fibers that are not biodegradable, meaning they end up clogging and blocking the sewage system. When blockages occur, it causes raw sewage to overflow into the rivers and oceans. This overflow causes wipes to make their way into the ocean, getting ingested by sea creatures and killing them.

3. Disposable Single-Use Razors

With blades made from cheap steel and handles made from cheap plastic, disposable razors have always been made for single – use. Two billion of them, along with its paper and plastic packaging, are being discarded in the U.S. each year; and since most of it can’t be reused or recycled, the razors and blade cartridges find their way into landfills.

Yes, I totally understand that all of these products make life so much easier, however, why not put the environment as a priority and avoid using the environment harming products?

Hanna is currently majoring in Journalism and minoring in Business and Asian American Studies. She is currently the Social Media Director and a Staff Writer for Her Campus Texas. After finding out that UT Austin's unofficial mascot, Matthew McConaughey, attended BTS's concert in Fort Worth, her goal is to run into Mr. McConaughey at the Communication building or ride the same elevator and have a full conversation with him about BTS. 
Socialite, blogger, perfectionist; suffering from fomo and currently attending the University of Texas at Austin. Advertising major and member of Zeta Tau Alpha fraternity.