This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

As Drake would say, if you’re reading this it’s too late. We lost. Not only did we lose, we lost in DOUBLE overtime to USC. If this doesn’t hit home with you let me give you a brief history lesson.

It’s the 2005-2006 season and our fearless leader Vince Young (a legend) lost what should have been his Heisman Trophy to Reggie Bush, a USC running back. With full vengeance in his heart and Jamal Charles (another legend) in his backfield, VY and his Horns traveled to California for the National Championship game. I’m not going to get into the details of the game but if you don’t know about it please, for the love of God, educate yourself. It was epic.

Fast forward: it’s 2017 and a not-as-good-but-maybe-we’ll-be-good-this-year? UT football team travels to LA. With a heavy sigh but hope in our hearts, UT football fans everywhere turned on their TV to see Matt Leinart (don’t even get me started on this guy) babbling on about USC. Barf. The TV cuts to a happy Matthew McConaughey and Vince Young throwing up their horns. Much better. Let the game begin.

If you missed it, I get it (no, I really don’t). You can go ahead and Google a play-by-play to catch up. I’m not Erin Andrews and won’t summarize it for you. However, if you’re still reading on, I’m assuming one of two things: either you’re a loyal UT fan, or you simply enjoy reading the things I write. If you align with either, I salute you. Instead of summarizing, I’ll share the non-explicit version of my thoughts during this game. Stay tuned for the overtime summary.

“Oh shoot! Sam Ehlinger’s starting. He’s actually pretty hot…”

“Nope. Interceptions are NOT hot. I take that back.”

“Hey, it’s Hollywood! Remember that one time we had a group project together? I’m really proud of the way you’re playing. Way to go bud.”

“Holy shoot we are not losing. What is going on?”

“MALIK. You’re an absolute beast. Keep it up.”

“I hate USC.” “I mean, our freaking defense, though.”

“Take it back, again. Sam’s really freaking good. And just a freshman? Hot.”

“Wait, we’re still not losing!!”

“Stop, Allison. Sam’s too young. He’s your brother’s age. Focus on the game.”

“Speaking of, how in the heck are we still in this game?”

In sum, we were playing really well. Our fresh young quarterback was playing lights-out crazy awesome under all this pressure; our defense was a force to be reckoned with. All UT fans, immensely impressed and on the edge of their seats, realized that we had a chance to win this thing.

Wrong. Overtime was soul crushing. Talk about a series of unfortunate events. Here is the Sparknotes version that even you non-football people can understand. USC scored. UT scored. USC scored. We lose. Shook up as I was from the loss, I couldn’t help but be proud of our boys. Nobody expected a close game let alone a double overtime nail-biter. That’s the thing about UT and that’s what’s so great about college football. The team never fails to put our emotions through the ringer every time they step on the field. And that’s why we come back—horns up, hearts hopeful.

Photo Credit: http://www.texassports.com/news/2017/4/17/football-video-lhn-gameday-final-spring-game-highlights-april-17-2017.aspx  

https://www.burntorangenation.com/football/2017/9/17/16321246/sam-ehlinger-texas-longhorns-usc-shane-buechele

Grace is a Philosophy and Economics double major and a Government minor at the University of Texas at Austin. Most of her writing focuses on politics and civic engagement, characteristically intertwining her journalism with op-ed takes (usually nonpartisan; depends who you ask). Grace enjoys reading philosophy, reading and discussing politics, gushing over her dog, and painting in her spare time. As a true economics enthusiast, she also loves graphs.