This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

To protect the safety of family members of UT students/faculty, names will be kept anonymous

“It’s hard being Iranian anywhere, especially in Iran.”

– Iranian member of UT faculty

Overview of the situation:

22-year-old Mahsa Imani was taken into custody by Tehran morality police on September 16, 2022, for “noncompliance” with governmental hijab standards. It is reported that she died of a heart attack while in custody, while her family states she was perfectly healthy and believes she was beaten to death. Her autopsy also revealed bone fracturing and brain hemorrhage. Mahsa’s brother maintains, “I saw with my own eyes that Mahsa’s face was swollen and her leg was bruised.” Her mother confirms she was wearing a long, loose robe and was in compliance with the Islamic Republic’s dress code.

What’s happening now:

Women in Iran have taken to the streets and have been protesting for the last two weeks. Demonstrations include the public burning of headscarves and cutting of hair. According to the Iran Human Rights Organization, as of September 26, more than 57 people have been killed by police in these protests. Among these, 4 were children. As a result of the protests and international attention, internet access in Iran has now been blocked. Specific blocked websites include Skype, WhatsApp, TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.

“It’s impossible to contact family in Tehran and it feels like a pit in my stomach everyday worrying about them.”

– Iranian UT student

What I can do to help:

Support Iranian News 

• English version of Iranian censorship-free news site:
    • https://www.rferl.org/Farda-English
    • RFE/RL’s Radio Farda breaks through government censorship to deliver accurate news and provide a platform for informed discussion and debate to audiences in Iran.

Donate

• The National Council of Resistance Women’s Committee:
  • www.women.ncr-iran.org
  • NCRW works extensively with Iranian women outside the country and maintains permanent contact with women inside Iran. The Women’s Committee is actively involved with many women’s rights organizations and NGO’s and the Iranian diaspora.

Share Resources

Reminder about respecting religion:

In light of these events, I would like to issue a reminder: what happened to Mahsa Imani is tragic. It is normal to be angry, to be furious, but do not allow her death to become a tool for Islamophobia. She deserves justice. Attacking Muslim women who choose to wear head coverings does not bring her justice. It only continues to further the policing of women’s bodies that caused her death in the first place. This is not a fight against Islam; it is a fight against oppression.

“The people of Iran feel alone. It feels like the world brushes it off as a Muslim issue when in reality it affects everyone in the country and Iranians outside of Iran.”

– Iranian UT student

Iranian creators to support:

The Progessive Brat

Tytyplanett

Yeganeh

“The best we can do is educate non-Iranians and get the world to listen.”

– Iranian UT student

Sources

https://www.dnaindia.com/world/report-mahsa-amini-morality-police-iran-iran-girl-killed-anti-hijab-protest-in-iran-masha-amini-why-death-of-22-2986953

https://www.radiofarda.com/a/people-murdered-protests-iran/32051396.html

http://www.women.ncr-iran.org

https://www.rferl.org/a/iran-amini-protests-57-people-dead/32052828.html

Members of the University of Texas student body/faculty

Mayahuel Crane is a writer and the Marketing and Public Relations Director at the Her Campus at Texas chapter. She is responsible for all new member recruitment, organizing open socials, fundraising, designing/ordering chapter merchandise, heading a committee, securing sponsorships, communicating with companies, the creation/growth of the Her Campus at Texas mentorship program, and general marketing of the chapter. She also created “Pinch of Politics,” a Her Campus news segment dedicated to making knowledge about current events accessible. Outside of Her Campus, Maya is an active member of her community and currently works for Justice for Children and EcoRise, two non-profit organizations dedicated to correcting the systems that harm the most vulnerable. She teaches elementary school students about mental health through Project Yellow and is a member of two pre-law organizations: Phi Delta Phi and Minority Women Pursuing Law. Maya has won “Best Feature for Current Events and News” twice for her “Pinch of Politics” articles and has successfully sustained her segment for over a year. She is a second-year Government and Mexican American Latino Studies double major at the University of Texas at Austin. Mayahuel is a huge political buff and loves to research and write in her free time. She also loves concerts, being with friends, and anything pink.