News

Pinch of Politics: Midterm Elections and What It All Means

Happy late Halloween and happy early Thanksgiving! I hope you all had a good voting experience! The numbers are tallied, but what does it all mean?

What was on the ballot?

In addition to propositions and local positions, the big positions on the ballot were the spots for governor, senate, and house. If you’ve been keeping up with Texas news, you’ll know that Greg Abbott won against Beto O’Rourke in the race for governor. Essentially this means the state will continue in the direction it has been going for the past 30 years.

Governor:

• 17 states elected a Democratic governor (Total: 23 Democratic governors)
  • 17 states elected a Republican governor (Total: 25 Republican governors)
  • Winners have not been called in 2 states (Arizona and Alaska)

Senate: 

• Republicans now have 49 seats 
  • Democrats now have 50 seats
  • There is still 1 seat that hasn’t been decided yet (Georgia)

House:

• Republicans now have 211 seats
  • Democrats now have 204 seats
  • There are still 21 races that have not been called yet
  • As of right now, there is a Republican majority

So what does that mean?

Since President Biden is of the Democratic party, a Republican majority in the House and Senate would make any goals the Biden Administration has more difficult to achieve. A Democratic majority would mean those goals would be significantly easier to achieve.

There were also some firsts this election! Maura Healy of Massachusetts and Tina Kotek of Oregon are going to be the first openly lesbian governors in the United States! Wes Moore also made history as the first Black governor of Maryland!

Sources:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3718346-healey-prevails-in-massachusetts-governors-race-dealing-historic-win-for-lgbt-community/

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/midterm-election-results-ted-cruz-beto-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-stacy-abrams-diversity-politics-a8621871.html

Hey, y’all! My name is Maya Crane, and I’m a first-year government major at the University of Texas at Austin. After undergrad, I plan on going to law school to pursue humanitarian law. I’m a huge political buff, and I love to research and write in my free time. I also love concerts, being with friends, and anything pink!