katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Orange You Glad You Saved Some Cash?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

First and foremost, I would like to start by saying that I would never judge anyone for spending money on any type of “glam” Longhorn apparel.  I mean what’s the fun of having an awesome mascot like Bevo if you can’t walk around with a bedazzled Longhorn emblazoned across your chest?  You do you.  Wear what makes you happy.

That being said, I must admit that I’ve had many disappointing moments in the Co-op, falling in love with a cute burnt orange tee only to glance at the price tag and drop it like it’s on fire.  It wasn’t until a cold day this past winter, when I pulled about a dozen long sleeved shirts from all over the Co-op into one dressing room to find a reliable shirt for the season, that I noticed something: because I had taken half of the shirts from the downstairs area, or “men’s/unisex” section, they were cheaper than the other shirts in my pile.  I looked around at some of the other merchandise and, sure enough, it was common for men’s apparel to have a lower price than women’s apparel.

It makes sense, if you think about it: the material of women’s apparel is often softer, cut differently, and more synched in certain areas.  There are definite differences between the men and women’s apparel that could explain the price differences.  But when it comes down to the basics, do you really need to pay a few more dollars for practically the same product?  Next time you’re looking to add a little more burnt orange to your wardrobe, save a few bucks by cruising the men’s section.

Long SleevesMen’s: $19.99Women’s: $20.99You save: $1 or 1 pizza roll at Rockin’ Tomato

A lot of girls I’ve talked to actually like the men’s long sleeves better because they don’t fit as tightly as the women’s long sleeves.  I personally can’t stand anything constricting on my arms, so the looser sleeves are definitely a pro for me.  The women’s long sleeves have the potential to be a little unforgiving across the stomach as well, so tight jeans may not be the best pants to pair with them.  The “oversized” look always seems to become a trend come winter, so a men’s long sleeve shirt is perfect to wear with your favorite leggings and boots once the weather gets colder.

Short SleevesMen’s: $15.99Women’s: $18.99You save: $3 or 3 cookies, in store, at Tiff’s Treats

Now that the school year is coming to a close, you may find that all the free tees you got from events at the start of the year are becoming a little worn down.  For a perfect shirt to throw on when you realize you’ve overslept and that your class starts in 10 minutes, check the men’s section.  They also make great bathing suit cover ups for a day of swimming at Barton Springs, or a comfy study uniform for late nights at the PCL.  If you really want to get creative, you can look up some DIY fringe shirt tutorials and turn an oversized shirt into something cute and unique.

Tank TopsMen’s: $15.99Women’s: $22.99You save: $7 or a full stack of pancakes at Kerbey Lane

There are some pretty cute tank tops in the women’s section that you may actually want to splurge on, but you’ll save a pretty penny by picking up your basics in the men’s section.  They’re a lot longer and baggier than most women’s tanks, so they’re easy to pair with your favorite Nike shorts to run errands or hang out in Zilker Park.  The arms holes are much bigger, but that’s no problem if you pair the tank with a colorful or patterned sports bra.  And if you’re feeling some 90’s nostalgia, feel free to gather up the excess fabric in a scrunchie and tuck it under the hem.  Come on, you know you want to.

The Cop-op has some insanely cute stuff in the women’s section if you feel like splurging, or if your parents are picking up the tab, but we all know that college students don’t exactly have unlimited funds.  When it comes to the basics, you can do some pretty smart shopping in the men’s section.