clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Open Letter To All Second Semester Seniors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Dear Probably Sleep Deprived Student:

It’s the home stretch. You are almost there. You can see the end but it still seems way too far. You are not alone. Look around that coffee shop you are at in the middle of the night trying to finish assignments that seem arbitrary and unnecessary; those are your people.

Everyone else is also feeling what you are feeling. You are not irresponsible or apathetic; you’re just exhausted. You’ve done this whole being-a-student thing for at least 16 years, maybe even more, and it’s natural that you are tired and done with life. Trust me, that will make getting your diploma that much sweeter. All those deadlines, all those all-nighters, all those late nights spent partying while also worrying about that assignment you hadn’t done, they are all going to be worth getting that paper that probably cost $4 to print but also represents your future career possibilities.

So trust me when I say, we are all on the same boat. Reach out to that tired looking kid sitting at the table with an open book and two empty red-bulls and say, “Hi friend, know that I believe in you and know you can do this.” Get those papers in, those deadlines met, those sets done, and those projects finished, because you’ve not made it this far to half-ass your way through the finish line.

As Ru Paul, mother of the universe, would say: “good luck, and don’t f**k it up.”

Love,

A Definitely Sleep Deprived Student

Grace is a Philosophy and Economics double major and a Government minor at the University of Texas at Austin. Most of her writing focuses on politics and civic engagement, characteristically intertwining her journalism with op-ed takes (usually nonpartisan; depends who you ask). Grace enjoys reading philosophy, reading and discussing politics, gushing over her dog, and painting in her spare time. As a true economics enthusiast, she also loves graphs.