New Sexual Assault Survey On Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Sexual assault on college campuses is one of the most prominent issues that students face in the modern age. One in five female students will be sexually assaulted before they graduate from the University of Texas.

One in five.

That number is something that has troubled many students and organizations at the university. It’s this number that has inspired the School of Social Work here to create a project that they call “Cultivating Learning and Safe Environments (CLASE)” and will randomly select students to complete surveys that will help us to further understand sexual assault, dating violence, and sexual harassment on campus.

To advertise and encourage participation, the study put together the following message.

“Hi students at UT Austin! You will on November 4th receive an email invitation to participate in a survey about sexual assault, dating violence, sexual harassment, stalking, and the environment at our campus. Please, lend your voice to help us understand the impact of programs and policies at our campus. Plus, you can be entered to win one of the following:1. UT student parking permit (approximate cost- $191)2. Amazon Gift card ($200)3. Wireless Beats Headphones ($250)4. UT Bevo Bucks allotment ($100)5. ACL 2016 3 day pass ($250)

Know someone who needs help now? Encourage them to use one of these on-campus and off-campus resources: The National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-HOPEThe National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233 | 1-800-787-3224 (TTY)Counseling & Mental Health Center (CMHC) – 512-471-351524hour Counseling hotline -512-471-2255”

It is essential that, if selected, you participate in the survey.  As collegiate women, sexual harassment and assault is a reality that many of us face and fear every day. The CLASE study is a project that not only seeks to understand these things, but also draws attention to a huge issue that is often swept under the rug by universities around the country.

We have a chance to let them hear our voice—let’s not waste it.

Jane Doe

Aberdeen '20

N/A